The UPSC Civil Services Main Examination 2011 commenced on October 29, 2011. Here Jagranjosh.com provides you the question papers of IAS Main Examination. The following is the Question Paper of History Paper I of IAS Main Exam 2011.
Paper - I
Time Allowed: Three Hours Maximum Marks: 300
Each question is printed both in Hindi and in English.
Answers must be written in the medimum specified in the Admission Certificate issued to you, which must be stated clearly on the cover of the purpose. No marks will be given for the answers writeen in a medimum other than that specified in the Admission Certificate.
Candidates should attempt Question Nos. 1 and 5 which are compulsory, and any thee of the remaining questions selecting at least one question from each Section.
The number of marks carried by each question is indicated at the end of the question.
Answers should be precise and to-the-point. An outline map is attached to this question paper which is to be used for attempting Question No. 1. This map may be detached carefully from the question paper and attached securely to the answer book by the candidate.
1. Mark the following places on the map supplied to u and write short descriptive notes on them. 3x20=60
2. Trace the development of urbanization from the third millennium B.C.E. to 6th century B.C.E. 60
3. (a) Evalute the conceptual basis of the vedic delities. 30
(b) Assess the importance of Jain tenets and their revelance to humanity. 30
4. (a) Evalute the introduction of iron technology in the developement of human history of ancient India. 20
(b) Discuss the types of lands and the Science of agriculture mentioned in the literature and epigraphs of ancient india. 20
(c) Assess Ellora as a unique art centre of the different cultural streams. 20
5. Write short notes in not more than 200 words on the following : 20 x 3= 60
(a) Assess the contribution of Iltutmish for the expansion and consolidation of the Delhi Sultanate.
(b) Examine critically the agrarian and economic reforms of Alauddin Khalji. How did it strengthen the Sultanate ?
(c) What is your assessment of Ibn Batutah's Rehla as an important source of indian history.
6. Evaluate the socio economic conditions from the Gupta Period to 1200 C.E. as gleaned from the various types of grants or dana shasana. 60
7. (a) Mughal paintings reflect the contemporary socio-political conditions. - Discuss 30
(b) Examine the mansab and jagir system by Akbar and its subsequent failure in the 18th century. 30
8. (a) Discuss the causes of the rise and growth of regional kingdoms with special reference to Deccan in the 18th century.
(b) Assess the contribution of the Cholas in the expansion of Indian culture outside India. 30