The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) holds the Civil Services Examination every year in two parts, i.e. Preliminary Test and Main Examination; the Main Examination comprises a written Test and a Personality Test. The Question paper of the IAS Main History Paper I -1990 is given as below:
Time Allowed: Three Hourse
Maximum Marks: 300
Candidates should attempt Q.1 and 5 which are compulsory and any THREE of the remaining question, selecting at least ONE question from each Section. All question carry equal marks.
1. Write short essays of not more than 200 words each on any three of the following:
(a) The Maurya policy of regulating and controlling economic activities
(b) The maurya Policy of regulating and controlling economic activities
(c) Indian participation in silk trade through Central Asia
(d) The economic prosperity in the Gupta period.
2. ‘The Indus civilization did not have an abrupt appearance.’ Discuss the statement. How does the Indus civilization stand, in view of its geographical expansion and chronology, in relations to the Vedic civilization?
3. Trace the rise of Magadhan imperialism up to the times of the Nandas with particular reference to its policy towards the non-monarchical state. Discuss the factors that contributed to success.
4. Make a comparative study of the administrative system and development of art under the Pallavas of Kanchi and the Chalukyas of Vatapi.
5. Mark any fifteen of the following places on the map supplied to you. Also give brief descriptive notes on the places marked on the map:
6.‘Sankaracharya brought about a synthesis of ideas and philosophies.’ Discuss the statement and analyse the historical significance of his life and throught.
7.‘Firuz Tugluq has been overshadowed by Muhammad Tughluq.’ In the light of this statement evaluate the significance of the policies and actions of Firuz Tughluq.
8.‘In medieval Indian history Akbar is unique for his religiopolitical ideas and policies.’ Discuss the statement and compare Akbar with Sher Shah in regard to their administrative policies and revenue administration.
IAS Question Papers