Internships are important for students to get the right kind of exposure and be prepared to work in their chosen industry. They also help them to get the clarity of thought for any particular field and decide whether want to continue doing the same work as a professional. Internships also help them with academics as this experience expands their horizon and they learn how theory works in practical setup. Here are reasons why an industry based internship is important for students.
1. Industry based internships mean collaboration between a popular company in the industry and the college. This collaboration helps both the industry and the college in numerous ways. While the company is able to train students and get them acquainted with how things work during the internship, the students learn how to handle pressure of a work environment and the working knowledge of things beyond the boundaries of the college. It's kind of a bridge between theory and practice which helps students to understand about tools, builds confidence in their use, and hones skills essential for their successful application.
2. It relieves students of the tension surrounding getting an internship with a big organization. Students are usually seen taking stress about how they will find suitable internship opportunities. The collaboration with the industry solves this problems so that they can study without any nervousness.
3. Teachers also understand the needs of the industry and mould their syllabus and teaching habits according to that. There are meetings where the entire curriculum is planned according to what is expected of the students after the semester when they are just about to do an internship. To make the process and the transition easy, it is necessary that the teachers know exactly what to teach in the class.
4. The whole process makes students more practical as their actions become result oriented. It's time for them to apply concepts they learned about in the college, in real life. This includes analysing problems and solving them step by step. They learn about goals of an organizations and how they can work to help it achieve the same. While working as a full time employee, they are given set KRAs. Past experience in the field and the industry makes them acquainted with the concept.
5. The students also learn other professional qualities life office etiquettes and work behaviour. They learn how to reply to mails, how to dress up and what to not to say to a senior. These experiences help them immensely when they are trying to make their place in the industry after college gets over.
6. The connections students make during the time of their internship last for a very long time and help them when they are actually looking for jobs in the future. The people they work with prove to be great references in the future, telling the employers about the student's competency. This positive word of mouth proves to be a great help for freshers who don't have any professional experience of working as a full-time employee.
7. Internships help students to confront real life work problems where the stakes are high and the work needs to be done in real time. It also helps them to encounter unexpected challenges with increased confidence so that they can successfully get past the hurdles And practical constraints. A lot of times, things taught by teachers are not applicable in real life work settings. This is a great lesson for students who want to be able to tackle difficulties with ease.
8. These professional stints also make students open to ideas and opinions of others and they realize than everyone has a different viewpoint on a certain issue and that it needs to be respected and evaluated. Unlike a classroom, office is a place where you have to back everything with facts and figures in order to be taken seriously.