What is NIOS? Know here
National Institute of Open Schooling popularly known as NIOS is a platform for students who want to complete their education in private mode. The education board was started by Ministry of Human Resource Development with an aim to provide education to the rural or backward section of the society who could learn without attending schools. It has become India’s largest open education board and is equivalent to formal education of other boards.
NIOS operates through 21 Regional and 4 Sub Centres as well as 6351 study centres in India and 31 study centres abroad including UAE, Kuwait, Muscat, Kingdom of Bahrain, Nepal, Qatar and Saudi Arabia.
For Secondary and Senior Secondary levels, NIOS offers flexibility for students for their choice of subjects and courses, learning pace, and credits transfer from CBSE, other national/state Board of School Education as well as State Open Schools.
How can students learn under NIOS?
NIOS provides different courses for class 10, class 12 and vocational education
- Open Basic Education (OBE) Programme – The OBE programme is for providing basic education to those who have basic literacy but no formal education. The programme is offered in three modules –
OBE Level A – Education equal to class 1st to 3rd
OBE Level B – Education equivalent to class 4th and 5th
OBE Level C – Education equivalent to class 6th to 8th
Eligibility for OBE programme-
All children, youngsters, adults can take admission for OBE programme.
What is Peer Pressure? How school students can deal with it?
- Secondary Education Course – NIOS offers class 10/secondary education in 28 subjects including 17 languages i.e. Hindi, English, Urdu, Sanskrit, Bengali, Odia, Marathi, Telugu, Gujarati, Kannada, Punjabi, Assamese, Nepali, Malayalam, Arabic, Persian, Tamil, Mathematics, Science and Technology, Social Science, Economics, Business Studies, Home Science; Psychology, Indian Culture and Heritage, Painting, Data Entry Operations & Accountancy
Eligibility for Secondary (10th level) Education – Students who have completed 14 years of age and must have passed class 8th from any recognised board or NIOS
- Senior Secondary Education Course – Students can choose subjects for senior secondary or class 12th from total of 29 subjects including 09 languages i.e. Hindi, English, Bengali, Odia, Tamil, Urdu, Sanskrit, Gujarati, Punjabi, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography, Political Science, Economics, Business Studies, Accountancy, Home Science, Psychology, Computer Science, Sociology, Painting, Environmental Science, Mass Communication, Data Entry Operations, Introduction to Law, Library and Information Science
Eligibility for SSE (10+2 level) - Students who have at least 15 years of age and must have passed class 10th from any recognised board or NIOS.
Exam Stress? Follow these 8 tips for stress free preparation
- Vocational Education Courses/Programmes – The vocational education programmes are offered to students as –
Six-month vocational courses –
- House wiring and electric Appliance repairing
- Motor and transformer Rewinding
- Radio and Tape Recorder Repairing
- TV Repairing
- Cutting and Tailoring
- Dress Making
- Certificate in basic computing
- Beauty Culture
- Certificate in DTP
- Certificate in Yoga
- Certificate in security services
- Certificate in Computer Hardware Maintenance
One year vocational courses at NIOS –
- Electric Technician
- Radio and TV
- Cutting Tailoring and Dress Making
- Refrigeration and Air conditioning
- Certificate in Computer Application
- Certificate in Two wheeler mechanics
Eligibility for NIOS Vocational Education – students need to be at least 15 years of age or 16/18 for some vocational courses. Students must have passed class 10th qualifying exam from any recognised board or NIOS.
Vocational Courses options for class 10 students
How to Apply for NIOS?
- Candidates can apply for NIOS board for any course in the following modes –
- Online registration from the official website i.e., www.nios.ac.in
- Offline/In person, by visiting the nearest AI (Study Centre)/Facilitation Centre and register online with their help.
- Or visit nearest Regional Centre for online registration
- Or students can visit any of the Common Services Centres of the Govt. of India for Online registration. These centres are located across India.