The Union Health and Family Welfare Minister, Ghulam Nabi Azad released the 7th edition of Indian Pharmacopoeia 2014 – a book of Drug Standards at the Nirman Bhawan on 4 November 2013.
About the book- Indian Pharmacopoeia 2014
• The book entitled Indian Pharmacopoeia 2014 includes the standards of drug all over the world. These standards given in this pharmacopoeia are authoritative, legally enforceable and intended to help in the inspection and licensing of manufacturing units and distribution of drugs and pharmaceuticals.
• The new edition includes advanced technology and experimental methods widely adopted in India and abroad.
• The seventh edition of the Indian Pharmacopoeia (IP 2014) has been published by the Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission (IPC) in fulfillment of the requirements of the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 and Rules thereunder.
• It prescribes the standards for drugs produced and/or marketed in India and thus contributes in the control and assurance of the quality of the medicines.
• The Indian Pharmacopoeia 2014 is presented in four volumes.
• The scope of the Pharmacopoeia has been extended to include products of biotechnology, indigenous herbs and herbal products, veterinary vaccines and additional antiretroviral drugs and formulations, inclusive of commonly used fixed-dose combinations.
• Standards for new drugs and drugs used under National Health Programmes are added and the drugs as well as their formulations not in use now days are omitted from this edition.
• It incorporates 2548 monographs of drugs out of which 577 are new monographs consisting of APIs, excipients, dosage forms, antibiotic monographs, insulin products and herbal products etc.
• 19 New Radiopharmaceutical Monographs and 1 General chapter is first time being included in this edition.
Objective of Indian Pharmacopoeia 2014
The Indian Pharmacopoeia 2014 will be able to fulfill the mission of the Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission to promote public health, both in India and other countries using drugs manufactured in India.
Related Current Affairs: