Dr. Angela Merkel, German Chancellor on 19 November 2013 selected for Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for the year 2013.
The International Jury for the Prize was chaired by the Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh, which made this announcement on 19 November 2013 on the birth anniversary of Indira Gandhi.
Dr. Angela Merkel is nominated for her exemplary leadership in Europe and the world during the financial crises, her commitment to universal peace and disarmament and her leadership role in strengthening productive and mutually beneficial relations with India and other developing countries.
About Angela Merkel
• Angela Dorothea Kasner, better known as Angela Merkel, was born in Hamburg, West Germany, on 17 July 1954. Trained as a physicist, Merkel entered politics after the 1989 fall of the Berlin Wall.
• Rising to the position of Chairwoman of the Christian Democratic Union party, Merkel became Germany’s first female chancellor, and one of the leading figures of the European Union, following the 2005 national elections.
About Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development
• The Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development was instituted (in 1986) in the name of former Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi. It celebrates the values that she stood and fought for in the service of our nation and its people.
• The award is conferred upon the person or an organisation irrespective of race, religion, nationality or other aspects. It consists of award worth 2.5 million Rupees as well as trophy along with citation.
• The Indiara Gandhi Award is constituted by Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust.
• Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, the Liberian President was conferred with the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for the year 2012.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
Where: New Delhi
When: 19 November 2013