The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has recommended the safety measures concerning safety of women commuters availing of cab services.
The recommended measures were included in the new Taxi Policy Guidelines on 12 April 2017.
These measures have been recommended by the Maneka Sanjay Gandhi, WCD Minister, to the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and Shipping (MoRTH).
The recommendations have come in the background of numerous cases of sexual harassment of women in cabs.
The Union WCD Minister has launched a hashtag, #HelpMeWCD, where any woman or child facing harassment/ violence can directly report their cases by tweeting.
Key recommendations of the WCD Ministry included in the New Taxi Policy Guidelines:
• The taxis should be mandatorily fitted with GPS panic devices.
• For the safety of women and child passengers, the central locking system in the taxis should not be allowed.
• The driver's identification along with the photo and registration number of the vehicle should also be prominently displayed in the taxi.
• Violation of the stipulated rules by the taxi operators/drivers should be strictly dealt in accordance with law.
• Sharing of seat should be subject to willingness of passengers.
When: 12 April 2017