Imran Khan, the Karnataka pharmacist devised a protective ring which stings the women assaulter like a honey bee. The new ring is known as Sting Bee silver ring. The device inventor created the ring in the backdrop of the Delhi gangrape which took place on 16 December 2012.
Imran khan explained that the safety ring can be worn by the women in their right index finger in order to defend themselves from a potential rapist or killer.
Features of the Sting Bee silver ring
• The Sting Bee silver ring is said to be a reliable device for self defense.
• It has liquid chemical compound (Capsaicin) in the head of the ring, which is released from the micro tank and weakens the offender. It then halts the offender from attacking or assaulting any woman or girl.
• The ring also has RFID (radio frequency identification) tag on the top most side as well as dual lock mechanism. The dual lock mechanism prevents the misuse of the ring and it can be made out of any safe metal.
• Imran Khan explained that the device is easily operational as well as tamper-proof.
• The micro tank which has 0.2ml of the drug (Capsaicin) has the capability of being injected into even 5 people at the same time by unlocking it.
• It is important to note that trials have been conducted to study the safety of the device on the one who wears the ring and the one on whom it is used. Barring pain, itching, burning sensation and inflammation, the chemical used in the ring is not life-threatening.
What is Capsaicin?
Capsaicin is four times hotter than Bhut Jolokia (pepper) and 300 times spicier than Guntur red chillis (from Andhra Pradesh). The Capsaicin stimulates the chemoreceptor nerve endings in skin and then leds to shooting pain which lasts for 45-60 minutes when injected into someone’s body from the micro tank of the ring.
Funding of the Ring
• Imran Khan tied up with a Mumbai-based jeweller in order to source these silver-made rings. At the same time, he tied up with the Mumbai-based pharmacy in order to fulfill the demand of drug concentrate.
• The silver-made ring will have the cost of 1999 Rupees which excludes the tax of 5 percent as well as the delivery charges.
• The ring will be created on made-to-order on payment basis and will be delivered in a week in any part of the country through the courier service. Once the sales of the ring start picking up, the price will go down.
• The re-fill of the canister (micro-tank) with the drug Capsaicin will cost 1000 Rupees per fill.
• In order to educate and promote about the device, Imran Khan also established Save My Sister Charitable Trust. He also planned to distribute the new device free of cost to the financially deprived women of the country.
• The trust also planned to facilitate free legal services to the sexual crime victims by hiring around 6000 lawyers in a few cities as well as towns of India.
• Apart from this, a call centre with the helpline number (080-6450-0112) has also been set up for offering counseling to women who are in trouble and informing them about the safety ring.
Impact of the Device in India
Imran Khan, the creator of the device agreed that a ring alone cannot stop the rising crime against women, but it was one of the means for preventing the mishap, primarily in the metro cities such as Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Bangalore. In order to make use of the drug in the ring, a license was secured in the fruit category. At the same time, an application for patenting of the innovative device was filed in India as well as abroad.
Who is Imran Khan?
• Imran Khan hails from Babbur village in Hiriyur taluk of Chitradurga district, about 230km from Bangalore.
• He is a qualified pharmacist.
• He set up IOS (India Operating System) Group with various business interests that also include hospitality.
Related Current Affairs:
Latest Current Affairs