Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar, a BJP candidate, was on 14 March 2017 sworn in as the 13th Chief Minister of Goa. However, within 15 days of taking the oath as CM, Parrikar has to prove his majority by convening a session of the Assembly.
This will be the third time that Parrikar will serve Goa as the Chief Minister. Earlier, on 13 March 2017, Parrikar resigned as the Union Defence Minister to take up this new post. Meanwhile, Arun Jaitley assumed the charge of Defence Minister.
In February 2017 elections, after winning 13 seats, the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) cobbled together a coalition of 21 legislators in the 40-member House.
Parrikar succeeds incumbent Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar.
After the declaration of the results of Goa Elections 2017, Goa Governor Mridula Sinha appointed Manohar Parrikar, the BJP Legislature, as the Chief Minister and asked him to prove majority on floor of House within 15 days of taking oath.
However, Congress party leader Chandrakant Kavlekar filed a petition in Supreme Court arguing that Governor Mridula Sinha invited the BJP first to form the government in the state despite the fact that Congress emerged as the single largest party with 17 MLAs in the just concluded Assembly election.
The petition also asks for staying the oath-taking ceremony of Manohar Parrikar
To the contrary, the Supreme Court on 14 March 2017 refused to stay the oath-taking of Manohar Parrikar and asked Governor Mridula Sinha to hold a floor test in the Goa Legislative Assembly on 16 March 2017 for parties to prove a majority.
About Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar
• Manohar Parrikar is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in India.
• He served as the Chief Minister of Goa twice in his political career- first from 2000 to 2005 and later from March 2012 to November 2014.
• He represented the Panaji constituency in the Legislative Assembly of Goa.
• In November 2014, he took up the post of the Defence Minister in the Union Cabinet following the victory of BJP in 2014 General Elections.
• Born on 13 December 1955, Parrikar did his graduation in metallurgical engineering from IIT Bombay in 1978.