The Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India launched on 10 October 2013 a new project of Electronic Management of INSPIRE Award Scheme (E-MIAS) for the future Innovation in Science Pursuit for inspired Research (INSPIRE)Awards.
It was launched during the 3rd National level Exhibition and Project Competitions (NLEPC) being held under the INSPIRE Awards Scheme of the Ministry of Science and Technology.
The application software is ready for use by all the States / UTs, Districts and Schools and the 3 Central organizations Kendriya Vidyalaya, Navodaya Vidyalaya Schools and Sainik Society School.
All the concerned authorities are requested to start using the new application software and send future proposals for awards and funds for conducting competitions at various levels online.
What is E-Management of INSPIRE Award Scheme
• Department of Science and Technology (DST) plans to e-manage the entire INSPIRE Award Scheme by using State-of-Art latest Information Technology which would enable e-filing of nominations by the schools across the country.
• Under the INSPIRE Award Scheme, large number of nominations, running into lakhs, have to be processed for selection of the students for INSPIRE Award.
• Its processing by the District and State authorities as well as DST in accordance with the norms of the scheme, transmission of data of selected students to the banks, credit of Award amount to the bank accounts of selected Awardees (wherever notified) or preparation of INSPIRE Award Warrants by the bank and their dispatch to the selected Awardees and all such related activities concerning implementation of the scheme, management of the data, generation of various MIS returns etc.
Salient Features of E-Management of INSPIRE Award Scheme (E-MIAS)
• It will enable about 5 lakh middle and high schools all over the country to log in online and file nominations under the Scheme, which would be received electronically by the District Education authorities for further processing. The schools will also be able to view, download and print list of sanctioned awardees and their certificates.
• It will enable all the (nearly) 700 District Education Authorities and 35 States / UTs and 3 Central Educational Organizations (Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan, Navodaya Vidyalaya Sangathan and Sainik School Sangathan) to log in online and process the proposals received from schools and submit to the National Authority i.e. Department of Science and Technology (DST) for sanction.
• The State and Districts authorities will also be able to submit the proposals for funds release for DLEPCs / SLEPCs online.
• It will enable the National Authority (DST) to process the proposals and Awards / Funds so received from the State Authorities online and issue sanctions electronically, as per the approved norms.
• The software will also have facilities for registration of schools, District Authorities and State Authority, sending and receiving online communications to / from these authorities, receiving utilisation certificates, summary reports, electronically generate standard and tailor-made MIS reports and so on.
• It will also have the public domain home page where even public at large would be able to view not only the basic details of the scheme but also the awards sanctioned to various States / schools , various reports / documents / forms relating to scheme, submit suggestions / feedback and so on.
• The service provider will also put in place a call centre, which will run six days a week, to cater to the need / grievances of stakeholders.
About the INSPIRE Scheme
• INSPIRE stands for Innovation in Science Pursuit for inspired Research.
• It is a National Programme implemented by the Ministry for attraction of talent amongst students to study science and pursue career with research.
• The basic objective of INSPIRE is to communicate to the youth of the country the excitement of creative pursuit of science, attract talent to the study of science at an early age and thus build the required critical human resource pool for strengthening and expanding the science and technology system and R&D base.
•The programme was launched by the Prime Minister of India on 13 December 2008. The implementation started during 2009-10.