Renowned Canadian AIDS researcher and social activist Dr Mark Wainberg passed away on 11 April 2017 in Florida, USA. He was 71.
Wainberg is believed to have drowned while on holiday with his family in Miami.
About Mark Wainberg
• Mark A. Wainberg was a Canadian HIV/AIDS researcher and HIV/AIDS activist.
• He was the Director of the McGill University AIDS Centre at the Montreal Jewish General Hospital and Professor of Medicine and of Microbiology at McGill University.
• In 1989, he and his collaborators were the first to identify the antiviral capabilities of 3TC (also called also called lamivudine) and test the drug in patients. 3TC became one of the first effective treatments for people who contracted HIV.
• In 1966, he obtained a BSc from McGill University.
• In 1972, he earned a PhD from Columbia University. He did his post-doctoral research at Hadassah Medical School of the Hebrew University.
When: 11 April 2017