Top Picks : News Capsule , Current Affairs for SSC Exams , Exam Specific Current Affairs , 2016 Current Affairs , Current Affairs for Civil Services Exam , Person Died , Current Affairs for Bank Exams , Current Affairs for MBA Exam , June 2016 Current Affairs
Renowned painter and freedom fighter KG Subramanyan passed away on 29 June 2016 following a brief illness in Vadodra. He was 92.
Subramanyan was a versatile painter who blurred the lines between art and artisans by making his mark in pottery, design and terracotta art as well.
About KG Subramanyan
• Born in 1924 in Kerala, he was a professor at various times at the Faculty of Fine Arts at MS University in Baroda and his alma mater, Kala Bhavan (Santiniketan) from where he finally retired in 1989.
• It was under the tutelege of Nandalal Bose and Ramkinkar Baij in Santiniketan between 1944 and 1948 that Subramanyan developed a penchant for art and social commentary through his works.
• Considered one of the pioneers of Modern Art, Subramanyan was also a freedom fighter and was imprisoned briefly during the Quit India Movement.
• His paintings experimented with the idea of the Indian myth from which he borrowed a number of times.
• Subramanyan was also an art historian and his body of work forms a significant document of Indian art history.
• In 1955, he received a British Council Research Fellowship to the Slade School of Art at the University of London.
• He was awarded with the Padma Vibhushan in 2012.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App