The School of Social Work (SOSW) was established in 2007 with an aim to provide quality education in the areas of social work, family studies and tribal studies. It offers various certificate, diploma and degree programmes.
SOSW became fully functional in January 2009 with the appointment of its first Director and other faculty and staff members.
It has created history on several counts:
• The first school of social work in ODL system.
• The first school of social work in India to take social work education to all the States and Union Territories in the country.
• The first school to have developed high-quality Self-Instructional Material (SIM) indigenously.
• The first school to be using multimedia for imparting social work teaching and training, through its own (IGNOU’s) TV and radio channels, both in English and Hindi.
• The first school to have developed a course on history of social work in India, namely, Professional Social Work: Indian Perspectives.
• The first school to be offering social work programmes to in-service candidates in India.
• The first school engaging large number of practitioners for field supervision.
• The first school to be offering social work programme both in ODL and conventional systems through convergence scheme.
The Director, School of Social Work, Indira Gandhi National Open University, Maidan Garhi, New Delhi-110068