The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) has been constituted under an Act of Parliament i.e., the Company Secretaries Act, 1980 (Act No.56 of 1980) to develop and regulate the profession of Company Secretaries. The ICSI functions under the jurisdiction of Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
The Institute has its headquarters at New Delhi, four Regional Councils at New Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata and Mumbai and 68 Chapters spread all over India.
The affairs of the Institute are managed by the Council of the Institute consisting of fifteen elected members and five nominees of the Central Government.
ICSI- FUNCTIONS AT A GLANCE
• Registers students with 10+2 and graduate qualifications for Foundation and Executive Programme
of Company Secretaryship, respectively with course contents in Corporate and Economic Laws, Management, Accounting, Taxation and Finance disciplines;
• Conducts Company Secretaryship examination twice a year in June and December;
• Provides postal/oral coaching and training enabling students to qualify as Company Secretaries;
• Arranges e-learning for students through Web Based Training, Video Based Training and Live Virtual Classroom;
• Arranges training for Executive/Professional Programme pass students in companies/with Company Secretaries in Practice empanelled with the Institute;
• Enrols qualified persons as Associate/Fellow members of the Institute;
• Issues Certificate of Practice to members taking up practice;
• Conducts Post Membership Qualification Course for members of the Institute;
• Publishes widely read and highly acclaimed monthly journal Chartered Secretary;
• Publishes Student Company Secretary and CS Foundation Course Bulletin for the benefit of students;
• Publishes Online CS update containing current notifications and circulars relating to various corporate and related laws;
• Exercises professional supervision over the members of the Institute both in practice and in employment in matters pertaining to Professional Ethics and Code of Conduct;
• Undertakes research in Law, Management, and Finance and Capital Market disciplines and brings out research publications and guidance notes;
• Issues Secretarial Standards and brings out Guidance Notes thereon;
• Renders expert advisory services to members on intricate issues relating to various corporate laws;
• Organises Professional Development and Continuing Education Programmes, International/ National/Regional Conventions and Conferences directly or through its Regional Councils and Chapters;
• Organises Professional Development Programmes in collaboration with Chambers of Commerce, Department of Public Enterprises, sister Professional Institutes and other Professional Development/ Management Bodies;
• Interacts with various National and Regional Chambers of Commerce with regard to various Government Policies and Legislations;
• Interacts with the Central and State Governments and Regulatory Authorities on matters of professional interests;
• Interacts with Company Secretaries Institutions of other countries for mutual benefit and in respect of the International Federation of Company Secretaries;
• Bestows ICSI National Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance on best governed companies;
• Bestows Life Time Achievement Award for Translating Excellence in Corporate Governance into Reality;
• Founder Member of the National Foundation for Corporate Governance;
• Founder Member of International Federation of Company Secretaries.