In the dawn of 1947, when the race of Indian horizon was blushed in expectancy of the rising Sun of country''''s independence, the story of the ruler and his vision metamorphosed into a legend of conviction and history of selfless dedication, when the foundation of the first institute of agricultural education was laid by late Rawal Narendra Singhji, Establishment of agricultural college along with India''''s independence was an act of deep farsightedness which pioneered and consolidated endeavors of agricultural education.
Sri Lotu Singh Gautam was the first Principal of the college who also looked after the administration of the school. A new building was constructed and later on with some modifications the administrative block, library and departments of agricultural economics and plant pathology were created. In the initial period Major J.S. Guleri was appointed as honorary Director and agricultural advisor.
Shri Jai Kishan was appointed as the Principal in 1949, later on Dr. A. Rathore who was a Ph.D. from Iowa, USA, was appointed as the first Director and later on as Director and Principal in 1950. At this juncture of time the college and the school which were surviving as Siamese twins were separated. Dr. Rathore constituted 8 departments and carved out the modern outline of the college. In 1951 the first batch of agriculture graduates passed out.
Gradually, the college expanded and the annual outlay increased. Around that time, the Jagiri pratha; was also abolished, which led to financial constraints. The then Government of Rajasthan took over the management of the college in 1955. It was also decided by the Government to transfer the college to Udaipur, but the sentimental appeals and resistance of the people of Jobner not only prevented the transfer but also paved the way for the establishment of another agricultural college at Udaipur. In this way, the college became instrumental in the establishment of one more agricultural college strengthening the agricultural education in the state. Several teachers along with Dr. Rathore were transferred to Udaipur for the establishment of the new college at Udaipur. Dr. Kalyan Singh Kushwaha took over as officiating Principal after the transfer of Dr. Rathore. Later Dr. K.D. Baweja became Principal in 1956. During his tenure, a new biology block was built which housed the departments of agricultural zoology and entomology, and agricultural botany. Dairy farm was established in 1958 and in the following year, i.e. 1959, the first student hostel (Bhabha hostel) came up. Dr. Baweja got superannuation in 1960.
Dr. Nirankar Prasad, an eminent wheat pathologist, took the charge of Director and Principal in 1960. The post was later designated as Associate Dean. The old college building which housed the school was handed over to the college, which then became the department of agricultural extension.
Placement Cell Available.
Swami Keshwanand Rajasthan Agricultural University, Bikaner
Jobner, Jaipur (Rajasthan)