1. Home
  2. |  
  4. |  
  5. Education |  

70 percent uniform curriculum demanded by UGC for Universities

University Grants Commission now asked universities to have 70% uniformity in curriculum for undergraduate courses after the implementation of choice based credit system.

Dec 30, 2015 17:50 IST

    After the implementation of choice based credit system for undergraduate courses, the University Grants Commission now asked universities to have 70% uniformity in curriculum for undergraduate courses. The UGC in its circular issued to state, central and deemed universities on 22 December 2015 said, “The CBCS which is already in existence should be adopted by all the universities. It is hoped that even this suggestion by us to have 70% uniformity be implemented as this will ensure seamless mobility of students as well as transfer and mutual recognition of credits across the higher education institutions in the country.”

    According to the recent circular 70 percent of the content will be from the UGC curriculum and the remaining 30% will be framed by the university. The new suggestions from the UGC have received mixed response from various universities. Director of Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT), GK Prabhu said that the UGC circular is contradictory because the universities and universities should be given freedom and flexibility under CBCS, to have their own academic senates and they should be allowed to frame their curriculum freely. He said the UGC is not doing the right thing and the very hallmark of CBCS, which is its flexibility, is being challenged.

    According to Pro-Chancellor of PES University Jawahar Doreswamy, “Presently, there is around 80% uniformity in different programmes among institutions. But we look forward to following the curriculum of top institutes like IITs and to have a curriculum better than our competitors. The UGC might have done this to facilitate transfer of students from one institute to another.”

    According to Vice Chancellor of Reva University, VG Talwar, a good number of curriculum model farmed by the UGC is relevant. He added, “But it must be modified every two or three years so that it does not become outdated.”


    Register to get FREE updates

      All Fields Mandatory
    • (Ex:9123456789)
    • Please Select Your Interest
    • Please specify

    • ajax-loader
    • A verifcation code has been sent to
      your mobile number

      Please enter the verification code below