CDS (II) 2017 Exam: English Practice Questions – Spotting Errors
Directions for the following 10 items: Each question in this section has a sentence with four underlined parts labelled (a), (b), (c) and (d). Read each sentence to find out whether there is any error in any underlined part and indicate your answer in the Answer Sheet against the corresponding letter i.e. (a) or (b) or (c) or (d). If you find no error, your answer should be indicated as (e).
1. As I reached the hospital(a)/I had found , a great rush of visitors(b)/whose relatives had been admitted there (c)/for one or the other ailment (d)/no error(e)
2. You may not know it(a)/but this engine is (b)/claimed to have twice (c)/as powerful as the previous one. (d)/no error (e)
3. I remember my childhood days (a)/when i was used to go(b)/to the farm with my father (c)/and help him in his work (d)/ no error (e)
4. The house where the dead man was found(a)/is being guarded by police(b)/to prevent it from being entered (c)/and the evidence interfered with (d)/no error(e)
5. The team leaders encourages (a)/ the participants who have (b)/difficulty in performing (c)/ the assigned task. (d) no error (e)
6. The five member committee were(a)/of the view that the present service conditions (b)/of the employees of this company (c)/are quite good (d)/no error (e)
7. His speech was (a)/ judged by many (b)/as one of the most important speech (c)/given in the function (d)/no error(e)
8. Hardly had I (a)/entered the compartment (b)/than I met (c)/my friend vishwas.(d)/ no error (e)
9. Parmod said that (a)/he preferred a white shirt (b)/than coloured one(c)/ on any festive occasion. (d)/ no error (e)
10. The mother as well as (a)/ the children are to be (b)/ blamed for (c)/this sorry state of affairs. (d)/ no error (e)
Answers with Explanations
1. (b) when we have to talk about more than one past activity then ‘had’ is used with the activity which had happened in the far past. In this sentence event in part (c) had occurred before the subject visited the hospital or saw the condition of patients there. Therefore ‘had’ in part (c) is right but ‘had’ is part is wrong .(b)
2. (c) ‘be’ in place of ‘have’ to get the correct sense.
3. (d) The sentence is in past tense therefore help (present) in (d) is wrong and hence helped (past) in place of help.
4. (a) ‘has been’ is place of ‘was’
5. (a) the subject here is ‘the team leaders (plural) therefore verb also should be plural. Hence encourage (plural) in place of encourages (singular)
6. (a) was in place of were, as five member committee is singular
7. (c) speeches in place of speech
8. (c) When in place of than. Since hardly and scarcely are followed by when.
9. (c ) after ‘ior’ ending words like superior, senior, junior, and after prefer ‘to’ is used for comparison in place of ‘than’
10. (b) is in place of are because of first subject rule.
NDA & NA (I) 2017 Exam: SSB Interview Tips & Strategy
NDA & NA (II) 2017 Exam: GK Practice Questions - Current Affairs Set 02