6 tips to study effectively for exams in less time
Date sheets are being announced for final exams, students are preparing themselves to score well in the exams. However, most students are confused about how to prepare for the exams as they have to cover the complete syllabus of one year in few weeks. Don’t worry! If you have to study for an upcoming exam, but you have less time for preparation then follow these tips and tricks to study well for the exam. These tips are helpful even if you have few months or if you few days time for exams.
Read here the tips to study for exams in less time –
1. Analyse the previous years’ question papers – You already have less time left to study each and every thing, so to score good marks in exams, you need to utilise your time efficiently. You need to begin with analysis of past years’ question paper as per the syllabus for your upcoming exams. For this you need to do the following –
- Collect previous years ‘question paper for at least 5-10 years
- Cross-check the weightage of questions from different chapters, so as to identify chapters with more weightage and less important chapters
- You will get to know the questions and chapters which are of tough, average and easy level.
- This will help you understand important topics from every chapter which you must study for exams.
5 Practical ways to Improve Your Concentration Power
2. Set a Study Schedule as per the priority – Now you need to set priority for the important chapters as per the number of questions, marks weightage and difficulty level.
- Determine time for each chapter as per the priority list and start with chapters with more weightage or easy chapters, so that you can save your time and efforts for difficult chapters’ preparation.
- Most important thing, do not make changes to your time table/study plan frequently. Just set a study schedule as per the priority list and follow it for better results.
3. Make points while studying – When you start your preparation, read the topic which you need to learn, and then make pointer sentences to learn easily. To make it simpler, you can use bullets, numberings, special symbols, or mind mapping i.e. diagram to represent the answers and related topics.
4. Keep only the things you need while studying – Generally, it happens that students take their mobiles, laptops, tablets along with them while studying which constantly distract them. You should never keep such devices while studying, it affects your concentration and you end up wasting your time. You should take only the things you really need to study like notebook, syllabus, question papers and stationery etc. Also, keep the things you need at one place so that you don’t have to get up or leave your studies in between to get them.
Always avoid these 3 mistakes during exam
5. Do not take frequent or longer breaks while studying – It is generally advised by experts to take breaks in between your preparation, but the time duration and number of breaks is not mentioned by any of them. Ideally, you should take 15 minutes of break every 45 minutes round of study. Also, not split the 15 minutes break in to 10+5, 5+10 or 5+5+5 because you’ll be distracted by this. So, to maintain the concentration while studying take small break in one hour i.e. 60 minutes = 45 minutes of study+15 minutes of one break.
Smart tips and tricks for getting back into study mode
6. Sleep well and eat healthy – Most important thing to remember is that you must eat healthy and rest well to keep yourself attentive while studying. For this,
- You should sleep for 6-7 hours
- Eat healthy like fruits, veggies, fruit juice/smoothies only
- Take time to do some physical exercise and meditation, it helps you improve physical and mental fitness
- Also, please avoid junk food, sugar coated products and caffeine as these things makes your body more tired and you cannot focus while studying.
Exam Stress? Follow these 8 tips for stress free preparation