Bank Exams: How to approach spotting error questions?
You must be very alert and good to find out the errors in any of these questions since these questions may bring you easy marks or may make your life miserable in the examination hall. In any banking or other examination, you may expect 5-10 questions on spotting errors and that is why, we shall discuss some useful tips to solve these questions in this article.
In any banking examination or for that matter for any examination conducted to recruit candidates for government organizations, it is a must that you will get questions on spotting the error in a sentence in the English section. These questions are designed to test your ability to draft letters or reports as per the requirement of the organization with English that is free from any kind of grammatical error. You must be very alert and good to find out the errors in any of these questions since these questions may bring you easy marks or may make your life miserable in the examination hall. In any banking or other examination, you may expect 5-10 questions on spotting errors and that is why, we shall discuss some useful tips to solve these questions in this article so that you bring full marks from this section in the examination without much preparation and with utmost confidence.
Tips to solve Error Correction Questions
For any question that comes in the competitive examination in the English section, the only objective is to test your grammar base and the ability to write English that is free from errors. It is necessary to carry out your daily duties once you join the job and with good English skills, you will find it very flattering in your office as many people and especially your superiors will depend solely on you for drafting letters as government offices are mostly reliant on official letters, office memos, office orders etc. So, let us find out the ways:
- The whole sentence holds the key: Generally, in these questions, you will find a whole sentence divided into four parts but while attempting the question, read the whole sentence at one and then try to find the error because there will be an error, if any, based on the whole sentence and not on a particular part.
- Read the sentence a bit loudly so that you can hear: This helps a lot since you can hear the sentence on your own and it helps you to detect the error more easily. You hear the sentence and based on that, you can immediately spot the part with the error. This speech therapy helps a lot since that sound helps in answering the questions easily.
- Brush up your grammar: This is very important since this is the basic thing that is tested in these questions by the examination conducting organization. You need to be very good at grammar to find out the error instantly and can score marks without spending too much time on one question.
- Follow previous year papers: Every examination has some pattern regarding questions asked in the examination. Regarding error correction questions as well, you will find some favorite grammar areas of the question setter in case you go through the previous year papers. Focus mainly on these areas once you are done with your first round of grammar study.
- Newspapers can help you a lot: Yes, they can since you are asked to just spot the error and you are not required to give explanations for the same. If you read newspaper on a regular basis, it becomes very easy for you to spot the error in a sentence because you will do it like a reflex action.
- Practice as much as you can: This holds good for anything and everything and that is why, the same applies for this as well. Practice different kinds of questions on error spotting so that you are accustomed to the different questions that may come in the examination. This helps you in building confidence and at the same time, it helps you in spotting the error very quickly.
Error Spotting questions are very common in any type of competitive examination and with proper practice and knowledge you can solve these questions without spending much time and with accuracy. These may hold the key to your final selection or crossing that sectional cut off marks in the English section. So, brush up your basic grammar and practice accordingly to make sure that you get all the questions correct in this section.
All the best!!