For those who wish to bring a difference in the world through media, Mass Communication is the entry door. A course in Mass Communication and Journalism opens up various opportunities through different career options in media industry. Tamil Nadu has a number of Mass Communication schools but it is essential to choose the best to ensure you have a sparkling career ahead. Here is a list of the best Mass Communication schools in Tamil Nadu. The list has been created on the basis of quality of education, infrastructure, faculty and placement records.
- Asian College of Journalism – Located in Chennai, the Asian College of Journalism is one of the top ten Mass Communication schools in India. Famously known for its courses in Journalism, it started its first batch in 1994. The most popular course here is Post graduate Diploma in Journalism which offers a ten-month program. Irrespective of the choice of medium of the student, the institute instills the basics of Broadcast, Print and Web media. This ensures that every student of this college is ready to face the real life challenges of the industry.
- School of Communication, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham – Amrita University is a multi-disciplinary located in Ettimadai, Tamil Nadu. Its two other centers are located in Bangalore and Kerala. It offers a Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication, which educates students to make a successful career in journalism, advertising and short film making. The curriculum is moulded on the basis of UNESCO guidelines and is the first Indian University to follow the UNESCO educational curriculum.
- Anna University – Founded in 1978, Anna University is known for its variety courses and is among the best educational institutes in Tamil Nadu. It has a specialized Department of Media Sciences, which has been initiated recently in 2001. It offers a two year full-time MSc Electronic degree in Media programs and a five-year integrated MSc program. These courses are designed to develop knowledge and technical base, individual skills and creativity in students thereby opening up various options in Indian media.
- Department of Education Technology, Bharathiar University – One of the most reputed universities in Tamil Nadu, Bharathiar University is located in Coimbatore. The Department of Education Technology was started in 1990 with the aim of providing professional courses at both under graduate and Post Graduate levels. This institute believes in being abreast with the latest technology to provide the best to its students. The courses offered in Mass Communication include MSc in Electronic Media, MA in Educational Communication and MEd.
- Manonmaniam Sundaranar University – With an aim to be a leading world class educational institute in media studies, the Department of Communication of Manonmaniam Sundaranar University offers a unique educational learning experience. It is equipped with latest high-tech art equipment and has a beautiful infrastructure offering a dynamic environment for creative studies in Media. The courses offered here include MA in Communication, MPhil in Communication, PhD in Communication and MSc in Electronic Media.
- Annamalai University – Since its establishment, Annamalai University has been expanding its horizons in terms of courses, faculty and infrastructure. It has a different department of distance education too for those who are unable to attend regular college. It offers a full time three year BSc in Visual Communication. Though the course is lesser known, the University has a high reputation.
Tamil Nadu has a number of Mass Communication colleges and it is beneficial to look at the placement records before opting one for yourself.