Effective communication skills, both verbal and non-verbal are absolutely essential for the successful delivery of a message and progress in life
Communication can be defined as the human interaction where an idea or information or any message is transferred or exchanged either through verbal or non-verbal means. But in this age of industrialization, communication skill is much needed for growth and development of the person and the company or the industry.
Types of communication skills: Communication skills comprise of verbal communication skills, non-verbal communication, listening skills, written skills, telephone skills and others.
• Verbal communication skills: It is conveying a message through talking. The conveyer will have a direct interaction with the receiver and along with gestures can convince the listener and get his message through.
• Non-verbal communication: It refers to the gestures and body movements and positions while speaking. It includes the movements of hands, eye contact, smiling, position of legs, nodding of head, etc. Appropriate gestures while talking can make the communication more effective.
• Listening skills: Both the conveyer and the receiver should listen to each other attentively for effective communication and understanding.
• Written skills: Use correct and appropriate words while delivering a message through writing. Wrong language and inappropriate words can mislead the receivers.
Importance of communication skills: Until and unless the receiver can’t make out what the conveyer says or with the way he says it, the message can’t be delivered the way the conveyer intends to. It is through good communication skills that an employer or any maintains discipline of the entire employees. In a company, the manager uses communication
• To motivate and change the behaviour of the employees.
• To teach, instruct and explain a task.
• To counsel an employee.
• To seek information or assistance.
The purposes are same for other fields like schools, colleges, sports, etc.
Effective communication skills: Effective communication will result in a more efficient operation and will help in achieving the main objectives of any company, business, teaching or any profession or fieldwork. Communication can be made effective through the followings:
• Use simple and correct language
• Make your words speak your thoughts
• Avoid things that are not clear
• Know the subject fully, its objective and the purpose
• Act timely and according to the environment
But there are certain barriers to effective communication. Some are discussed below:
• Noise can distract the attention of both the conveyer and the receiver thereby refraining from full understanding of the message
• Lack of knowledge- With lack of knowledge, the conveyer cannot convince and communicate fully with the receivers.
Without the ability of proper and good communication, there is no scope for anyone in this highly competitive world, no matter he/she be an MBA or MCA or anything. Success is what an effective communication is and what communication can bring about. Persons with this skill will never go waste. It will open doors for them throughout life.