- India was ranked 102 out of 132 countries on the Social Progress Index (SPI) published by the US-based non-profit organisation Social Progress Imperative on 3 April 2014. This is the second publication of the SPI. The first SPI was published in 2013 taking into account the social progress in 50 countries.
- Union Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) notified rules on providing insurance cover for public deposits. The rules called Regulations for Acceptance of Deposits by Companies was notified under section 73(2) (d) of the Companies Act 2013.
- The Reserve Bank of India on 1 April 2014 adopted the Consumer Price Index (CPI) as the key measure of Inflation. It was adopted in the first bi-monthly monetary policy statement for 2014-15 on the basis of recommendations of Urjit R Patel Committee report.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 2 April 2014 granted in-principle approvals to IDFC Ltd and Bandhan Financial Services Pvt. Ltd to start new banks in India. The approvals would be valid for a period of 18 months.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its first bi-monthly monetary policy statement for 2014-15 directed banks not to impose financial penalty on the consumers in case of non-maintenance of minimum balance in their saving accounts.
R Gandhi was appointed as the Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India on 3 April 2014 for a period of three years. His appointment came into effect from 3 April 2014. Before being elevated to the position of Deputy Governor, he was serving the Reserve Bank as its executive director.
Election Commission (EC) of India on 4 March 2014 issued a notification banning publication and dissemination of exit polls of any kind from 7 April to 12 May 2014. This ban will be in existence from the first phase of Lok Sabha elections to ninth (last) phase.
- Iran and Japan signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for bilateral cooperation on environmental issues . The MoU was signed in Tokyo on 2 April 2014.
- Jim Yong Kim, the President of World Bank on 1 March 2014 announced that the bank would nearly double its lending capacity to boost support for middle countries like India, Brazil, China, Mexico and Indonesia.
- Japan announced Official Development Assistance (ODA) loan for more than 15000 crore rupees for 5 Indian Projects on 31 March 2014. This is the largest amount in the history of the ODA loans ever signed in the single occasion.
- The US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) on 2 April 2014 banned imports from Apotex Inc’s manufacturing plant in India because of not meeting the quality standards.
- Qatar based Doha Bank announced on 3 April 2014 that it will be opening its first branch at Nariman Point in Mumbai in India. The branch in Mumbai will be opened as a full-fledged bank in May 2014.
- Amazon launched an internet-connected TV set-top box or video streaming device called Fire TV on 2 April 2014. It costs 99 dollars and it is used for gaming
- Union Ministry of Civil Aviation on 2 April 2014 approved the Tata and Singapore Airlines (SIA) joint venture. The Aviation Ministry also issued no-objection certificate (NOC) to the new airline JV called Tata SIA Airlines Ltd.
- Noel Naval Tata on 31 March 2014 appointed as the chairman of retail arm Trent. He succeeded F K Kavarana. Kavarana announced his retirement from the Tata group after turning 70 in March 2014.
“Jagran Josh also helps to get information about Top MBA Institutes based upon your choice of Location and Specialization. Click here to get details & the Best Seller “MBA Pedia” eBook, absolutely FREE.