General Awareness for MBA: 18 March – 23 March
Get to know the most important news and happenings of the week (18 March – 23 March). It will help you in your preparation for General Awareness.
1. Maharatna PSU Coal India limited (CIL) on 17 March 2014 introduced a voluntary retirement scheme for non-technical female workers. The scheme was approved by board of CIL.
2. e-Commerce firm & online travel company ibiboGroup on 20 March 2014 announced to acquire Bangalore-based startup YourBus.in to strengthen the offers in the bus travel space. The companies did not disclose the value of the deal.
3. World Water Day was observed on 22 March 2014 with the theme Water and Energy to raise awareness of the inter-linkages between water and energy. World Water Day is observed to preserve and ration consumption of water.
4. Physicist Rajesh Gopakumar was selected for the 23rd G D Birla Award for scientific research for the year 2013..
5. Indian journalist Shubranshu Choudhary won digital activism award on 20 March 2014 for regional news service. Shubranshu Choudhary defeated American Whistleblower Edward Snowden.
1. Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) found that 2.3% of all the drugs tested by it were of sub-standard nature. This was revealed by the surveillance which DGCI carried out since December 2012.
2. Nagaland and Assam became the first two states to be issued with Plastic Photo Identity Card for elections in India. It was announced by the Deputy Election commissioner Sudhir Tripathi in Kohima on 12 March 2014.
1. Turkey on 23 March 2014 shot down a Syrian warplane (military jet) near the Turkish-Syrian border. The Syrian jet was shot down by Turkish F-16 fighter jet and fell in the Syrian town of Kasab on the Turkish border.
2. Ukraine signed the long-awaited Association Agreement with the European Union (EU) in Brussels on 21 March 2014. The Agreement was signed between Ukrainian Interim Prime Minister Arseny Yatseniuk, EU President Herman Van Rompuy on the sidelines of an EU summit in Brussels.
1. The Government of India divested its 9 percent stake in Axis Bank on 21 March 2014. The divestment resulted into generation of 5500 crore rupees.
2. The foreign direct investment (FDI) grew in January 2014 by 1.5 per cent to 2.18 billion US dollar compared to 2.15 billion US dollar in January 2013. This was revealed by the data on FDI released by department of industrial policy and promotion (DIPP) on 20 March 2014.
3. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued notice to banks on 19 March 2014 to take measures to counter the threat expected to arise from discontinuation of Windows XP from 8 April 2014.
4. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 19 March 2014 extended the 80:20 scheme to import gold to five private banks. The move was aimed to ease the restrictions on inward shipments of the gold.
5. SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) on 20 March 2014 notified a new set of norms to ease the process of Making Know-Your-Client (KYC) for investors. The newly issued set of norms will allow various market entities like brokers and Mutual Funds to get details from the centralized KYC agencies.
“Jagran Josh also helps to get information about Top MBA Institutes based upon your choice of Location and Specialization. Click here to get details & the Best Seller “MBA Pedia” eBook, absolutely FREE.