1. Exports from India increased 2.73 percent in September 2014 to 28.90 billion US dollar from 28.13 billion US dollar in September 2013. This was revealed by Foreign Trade (Merchandise) data released by the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry on 14 October 2014.
2. Union Finance Ministry on 14 October 2014 approved 25 FDI proposals with total investment of 1546 crore rupees.
3. The Reserve Bank of India on 16 October 2014 signed a pact with the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) for Supervisory Cooperation and Exchange of Supervisory Information.
1. World Day for Audiovisual Heritage was observed across the world on 27 October 2014 with the theme Archives at Risk: Much more to do.
2. Malala Yousafzai was conferred with the 2014 Liberty Medal on 21 October 2014 at the National Constitution Centre in Philadelphia
3. Indian-American Anita M Singh on 21 October 2014 was appointed as Chief of Staff and Counselor in the National Security Division (NSD) of the US Justice Department.
4. Tihar Jail Authority on 21 October 2014 set up an e-library for women inmates in Tihar jail. The move is a part of initiatives taken by the jail administration to train the inmates and help them find jobs so that they may not revert to criminal activities.
1. Mayank Ashar on 21 October 2014 was appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Cairn India with effect from 17 November 2014.
2. Gautham Roy on 14 October 2014 was appointed as the new Managing Director (MD) of Chennai Petroleum Corporation Ltd (CPCL).
3. Union Government on 21 October 2014 ordered merger of the scam-hit firm, National Spot Exchange Ltd (NSEL) with its holding company Financial Technologies India Ltd (FTIL).
4. E-commerce firm Flipkart on 18 October 2014 signed real estate lease deal with Embassy Office Parks, the joint venture between Embassy Group and Blackstone.
5. India's low-cost carrier IndiGo on 15 October 2014 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to buy 250 A320neo Family aircraft worth 25.5 billion US dollars from Airbus Group. This agreement is Airbus single largest order by number of aircraft.
1. Parliament of Australia on 19 October 2014 lifted ban on facial coverings including burqas and niqabs in Public areas.
2. The World Health Organisation (WHO) on 20 October 2014 declared Nigeria as Ebola free country.
3. India and Nepal on 21 October 2014 signed a Power Trade Agreement (PTA) that allows exchange of electricity between the two countries. The agreement opened up new vistas of cooperation between India and Nepal in power sector.
4. India on 21 October 2014 was re-elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) for the period of 2015 to 2017. India was re-elected after it received the highest, 162 votes in the Asia Pacific group in the election that was held in the UN General Assembly in New York.
5. A former mushroom and poultry farmer Leah Kalanguka was crowned as Miss Uganda 2014 on 26 October 2014. Leah Kalanguka topped the contest by beating 19 other finalists after the competition that was designed to promote agriculture in the east African nation.
1. The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 18 October 2014 approved the Ahmedabad Metro Rail Project Phase-1. The project will cover a length of 35.96 km at a total project cost of 10773 crore rupees.
2. The Union Cabinet on 18 October 2014 approved an inter-governmental Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Iran to upgrade the Chabahar port Phase-I.
3. Union Government on 18 October 2014 launched Jammu Kashmir Arogya Gram Yojna in Jammu and Kashmir. The scheme aims to encourage farmers in J&K to cultivate scientifically tested and commercially beneficial aromatic and medicinal plants in the state.
4. Union government on 19 October 2014 de-regulated the price of diesel and hiked the rates of domestically produced natural gas.
1. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on 21 October 2014 decided to initiate legal proceedings against West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) for abrupt cancellation of their tour to India. It also decided to suspend all bilateral tours between BCCI and West Indies Cricket Board.
2. Indian men’s hockey team chief coach Terry Walsh resigned from his post on 21 October 2014. He resigned due to a pay dispute with the Sports Authority of India (SAI).
3. Ace Indian cueist Pankaj Advani won World Billiards Point Format Championship on 24 October 2014. In the title clash played at Leeds, United Kingdom, Advani outplayed Singapore’s Peter Gilchrist, 6-2.
4. International Boxing Association (AIBA) on 22 October 2014 provisionally suspended Indian boxer Laishram Sarita Devi for protesting against a controversial verdict, at 2014 Incheon Asian Games.