1. President of India on 8 May 2014 launched Rupay, Indigenous Card payment System at Rashtrapati Bhawan in Delhi. RuPay is the coinage of two terms Rupee and Payment.
2. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 6 May 2014 issued the guidelines to allow the minors of age above 10 years to independently open and operate savings bank accounts and use other facilities like ATM and cheque books.
3. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 9 May 2014 barred Indian companies from raising the External Commercial Borrowings (ECB) from overseas branches and subsidiaries of Indian banks for refinance or repayment of the Rupee loans raised from domestic banking system.
1. Sunday Times Super-Rich List released on 11 May 2014 ranked London-based Hinduja Brothers as the richest in UK. The two brothers, Srichand and Gopichand Hinduja topped the list having a fortune of 11.9 billion pounds, which is up by 1.3 billion pounds of 2013.
2. A documentary film, Silent Screams – India’s Fight Against Rape directed by Pria Somiah on 9 May 2014 won three awards at the 2014 New York Festivals International TV and Film Awards. The three awards includes
- Gold World Medal for 'Best Investigative Report'
-Two Bronze Gold Medals each in the Current Affairs and Human Concerns sections respectively.
3. Caparo Group won the International Business of the Year award 2014 at the Asian Business Awards Midlands in Birmingham on 9 May 2014.
4. Arunendra Kumar, the Chairman of Railway Board on 9 May 2014 released a book entitled India Junction – A Window to the Nation. The book has been brought out by Public Relations Directorate Railway Board.
5. A book Post Haste: Quintessential India written by B.G. Verghese was released on 1 May 2014 at India International Centre in Delhi.
6. Indian-American cardiologist Mitul Kadakia won the prestigious 2014 Gregory Bradeb Memorial Fellow of the Year Award. The Prestigious award was given to him by the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (SCAI) Foundation in US in first week of May 2014.
7. Delhi Government on 5 May 2014 launched Travel planning Portal Tripigator.com in Partnership with Incredible India.
1. Indian construction major, Punj Lloyd won a 1270 crore rupees expressway project in Yemen on 6 May 2014. The Ministry of Public Works and Highways of Yemen confirmed the construction of a 42 km, 2*3 lane dual carriageway projects between Doraigh and Noubat Dokaim.
2. Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) on 7 May 2014 approved the flying license of AirAsia India Private Limited (AAIPL). AAIPL is a tripartite joint venture between Tata Sons, Air Asia and telestra Tradeplace.
3. The market regulator, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) on 8 May 2014 exempted Abu Dhabi based Etihad Airways from making an open offer in the Jet deal.
1. Supreme Court of India on 7 May 2014 banned use of bulls for Jallikattu (bull-fighting) events or bullock-cart races across the country.
2. The Union Cabinet on 1 May 2014 approved the proposal for setting up of the Polavaram Project Authority (PPA). It will be set up for the execution of the Polavaram irrigation project.