1. India ranked 37 out of the 38 economies surveyed in the 2016 Intellectual Property Index (IPI). The index was released on 10 February 2016 by the Global Intellectual Property Centre (GIPC) of the United States Chamber of Commerce (USCC). Out of the 38 economies surveyed, while the USA topped in terms of intellectual property protection by securing 28.61 points out of 30,Venezuela was at the bottom of the index.
2. Central Statistics Office (CSO) under the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) on 8 February 2016 released the Advance Estimates (AE) of National Income for the financial year (FY) 2015-16. It also released the Quarterly Estimates (QE) of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for the third quarter (Q3) of the FY 2015-16.
3. To connect Kolkata with Tripura via Bangladesh through railway, the Union Government on 10 February 2016 sanctioned about 580 crore rupees. The money was sanctioned for constructing the 15-kilometer railway track between Kolkata and Tripura. The project that is expected to be completed by 2017 will pass through Bangladesh.
4. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 8 February 2016 released the Report of the Working Group on Introduction of Interest Rate Options in India. The report was prepared by RBI committee chaired by Prof PG Apte.
1. The UAE's national oil company Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) on 10 February 2016 agreed to store crude oil in India's maiden strategic petroleum storage. The strategic reserve will help guard against global price shocks and supply distribution.The decision was taken during the state visit of Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to India from 10 February to 12 February 2016.
2. The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and the European Union (EU) on 10 February 2016 signed an agreement to improve cooperation in cyber defense. The technical agreement signed at NATO headquarters at Brussels, Belgium will help the two in countering the modern forms of hybrid warfare.The deal establishes a framework for emergency response teams from the NATO and the EU to exchange information and share best practices.
3. National Assembly, the Lower House of the bicameral Parliament of France, on 9 February 2016 passed a proposal to amend the Constitution to strip people convicted of terrorist offences of their French nationality. National Assembly voted by 162 to 148 to incorporate a passport-stripping clause into the Constitution, despite misgivings by some lawmakers that it is too extreme.
4. India and United Arab Emirates (UAE) on 11 February 2016 signed nine agreements. The agreements covered a wide range of sectors like the sphere of cyber security, infrastructure, renewable energy and finance. The pacts were inked after talks between visiting Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Hyderabad House in New Delhi.
1. The Supreme Court on 11 February 2016 ruled that States can clampdown mobile internet access under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) if there is apprehension that a public agitation can turn aggressive and disturb public tranquillity. The ruling was delivered by a bench led by Chief Justice of India T S Thakur while dismissing a plea filed by law student Gaurav Sureshbhai Vyas against a Gujarat High Court order.
2. Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Jagat Prakash Nadda on 11 February 2016 released the National Framework for Malaria Elimination (NFME) 2016-2030at New Delhi. The framework outlines India’s strategy for elimination of the disease by 2030. NFME document defines goals, objectives, strategies, targets and timelines to eliminate malaria from the country. It will serve as a roadmap for advocating and planning malaria elimination from the country in a phased manner.
3. Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan on 9 February 2016 released the Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 for north-east India. The Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas has consciously and constantly focused efforts towards making hydrocarbons a tool to enable social and economic development. One such initiative has been the Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 for North East Region. It undertook series of consultations with the state governments while drafting the vision document. While, CRISIL Infrastructure Advisory has been the knowledge partner to develop the Vision report.
4. India’s the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) and United States Technical Development Agency (USTDA) were on 9 February 2016 signed the grant agreement for India Aviation Safety Technical Assistance Phase II in New Delhi. The phase II of the project is aimed at sustaining efforts undertaken during 2014 for restoration of IASA Category 1 status and bringing in more systemic improvements in the area of operation, airworthiness and licensing. It will include components on general aviation and business aviation.
1. The South Asian Wrestling Federation on 8 February 2016 announced the appointment of Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh as its President. During the General Body Meeting of South Asian Wrestling Federation held on 5 February 2016, Singh was unanimously elected as the president. Tabiur Rehman from Bangladesh was also unanimously elected Secretary General.
2. New Zealand on 8 February 2016 won the three-match Chappell-Hadlee Trophy of cricket against Australia, 2-1. In the third and final match played at Seddon Park, Hamilton, the Black Caps defeated Australia by 55 runs. This win of the Black Caps can be termed as the best farewell gift forBrendon McCullum who retired from One-Day International (ODI) cricket after the match. They also retained the Chappell-Hadlee trophy by putting tremendous bowling and fielding display.
3. The Disciplinary Committee of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on 12 February 2016 banned Pakistan umpire Asad Rauf for 5 years on charges of corruption and misconduct. The disciplinary committee took this decision after Rauf was found guilty of charges in relation to the Indian Premier League (IPL) betting and spot-fixing scandal of 2013.