How to select best schools for your child?
What are the qualities of best schools? Infrastructure, Curriculum, Teacher Strength, Sport and other Activities etc. we have listed here all basic qualities a parent should seek in the school for their child's admission. Parents should consider the factors mentioned in this article for short listing the best school.
Every year the struggle of parents to get their child's admission in best school in India begin during the admission session. The parents seek best quality of education, extracurricular as well as the social environment at the school premises for their child. We have analysed some features which parents should look for in the next school they are planning for their child’s admission.
Top 10 most important factors to be considered in selecting the best school in India –
- Daily commutable distance – The parents should select schools within five miles of their resident. They need to make list of schools within their area only, so that children can easily commute to and from school. This way kids too would not be stressed from commuting.
- Safety measures taken by school – It should be observed that what measures are taken by schools for safety of students like school premises should be under surveillance, outsiders should not be allowed in school premises, school should not allow any person other than parent/guardian to interact with child with or without permission, schools should be safe and fumigated for making it infection/disease free and most importantly schools need to impart basic self defence and disaster management skills in students for preparing them of any uncertainty.
- School Type – Parents need to identify the acknowledgement and category of school whether it is Public, Private, or state level, national level or international level. Also, if it is primary, middle level/secondary school (till class 10) or senior secondary/higher secondary school.
- Affiliation – Schools must be recognised under central board or state board or equivalent board. For international school, the official website of International Baccalaureate Organisation as it mentions the list of approved schools with International Curriculum and status.
- Core curriculum – The curriculum of schools is based on the board it is affiliated to but the everyday schedule and delivery and internal assessment of students is done by the school. So besides education board curriculum, the pedagogy of school should be observed.
- Infrastructure – The facilities offered by the school in the school premises like a classroom, Computer laboratory, library, Science laboratory, auditorium, swimming pool, courts for different games like tennis, basketball, badminton, volley etc. Also, the schools should be providing school bus/transport for their students for daily commute.
- Student: Teacher Ratio – It is the most important feature to be taken care of, that what is the student faculty ratio in the school. Moreover, the ideal student – teacher ratio as per the latest report released by MHRD under Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act, 2009 should be 30:1 for primary level, 35:1 for upper primary level, 30:1 for secondary/higher secondary level.
- Staff value – Parents need to include this factor because if the teachers are paid sufficiently only then they will be providing quality education to the students. Generally, some schools appoint teachers on less pay and mostly the teachers are not qualified as per the standards set by the MHRD or UGC qualified. Schools too should appoint teachers who have qualified the essential teachers assessment test as well as they must pay them sufficiently as underpaid employees do not justify the quality of work.
- Techniques of learning and assessment – This is the most important factor that how the teacher imparts knowledge in students as the school work, homework, motivating students for learning as well as practical, assignments and projects.
- Extracurricular balance – The second most essential part of students overall development is sports and other activities like arts, drama, music, dance after academics. The schools giving equal importance to extracurricular activities along with academics should be shortlisted always.
Conclusion – All factors mentioned above should be necessary in any school. These are the essential things which are required for child’s overall development at school. Parents should analyse about their shortlisted schools from the school prospectus as well as informal sources like parents of the students the school about the infrastructure facilities, teaching quality, quality of education as well as the website of the Education board which school claims association with. Best opinion can be made from parent or students review as well as interaction with teachers of the school. If parents refering to ranking of schools as released by various magazines, then they should enquire about the factors for the Best schools ranking.