IAS Prelims : GS Ancient History : MCQ Set 3
This article provides Multiple Choice Questions of Ancient History for IAS Prelims Exam.
Ancient India is an important part of History syllabus for IAS Prelims Exam. Most of the questions related to Art and Culture have been appearing from this section in IAS Prelims Exam. Candidates are advised to go through previous year questions to fully understand the nature of questions from Ancient History section.These questions are also useful for State PCS Prelims Exams.
IAS Prelims Ancient India Multiple Choice Questions are as follows.
1. In Sanskrit dramas, written during the Gupta period, women and Sudras spoke
Explanation: In Sanskrit plays, written during the Gupta period, women and Sudras spoke Prakrit whereas the males of upper three Varnas spoke Sanskrit language.
2. Consider the following statements
1. Vikram Era started in 78 AD.
2. Saka Era started in 58 BC.
Which of the above statements are correct?
a. 1 only
b. 2 only
Explanation: Vikram Era started in 58 BC whereas Saka Era started in 78 AD.
3. The name by which Ashoka is generally referred to in his inscriptions is
Explanation: Ashoka is generally referred to as Priyadasi and Devanampriya in his inscriptions.
4. The concept of Anuvrata was advocated by
a. Mahayana Buddhism
b. Hinayana Buddhism
d. Lokayukta School
Explanation: The five cardinal principles of Jainism, if followed by a monk, is called Mahavrata and if observed by a lay follower, then it is called Anuvrata.
5. Consider the following statements
1. Avoidance of extremities of penance and enjoyment
2. Indifference to the authorities of the Vedas
3. Denial of efficacy of rituals
4. Non-injury to animal life
Which of the above were common to both Buddhism and Jainism?
a. 1, 2, 3 and 4
b. 2, 3 and 4
c. 1, 3 and 4
d. 1 and 2
Explanation: Buddhism advocated middle path that is avoidance of extremities of penance and enjoyment. On the other hand Jainism advocated extreme penance and asceticism.
6. Which of the following statement regarding Ashokan stone pillars is incorrect?
a. These are highly polished
b. These are monolithic
c. The shaft of pillars is tapering in shape
d. These are part of architectural structures
Explanation: Ashokan stone pillars are stand-alone structures. They are not part of any architectural structures. They were built to spread message of Ashoka to the people.
7. In ancient India the name of Varahamihira was associated with
Explanation: Varahamihira was a famous astronomer.
8. Chalukyas had their capital at
Explanation: The Chalukya dynasty ruled large parts of southern and central India between the 6th and the 12th centuries. Their capital was Badami.
9. The famous dialogue between Nachiketa and Yama is mentioned in the
Explanation: The famous dialogue between Nachiketa and Yama is mentioned in the Kathopanishad.
10. Which of the following dynasties was ruling over North India at the time of Alexander’s invasion?
Explanation: North India was ruled by Nanda dynasty when Alexander invaded India.