This article will provide wide-ranging information for Class 12 science students as to which courses are most suitable for them to achieve maximum success in their careers.
After completion of Class 12th Science Board examinations, students are faced with a difficult challenge of choosing the best suitable career option to pursue their higher studies.
Science stream is one of the most dynamic and evolving fields and therefore many new academic courses have come up as study options for Class 12th science students. These new programmes are excellent academic wise and also offer well-paid and rewarding job opportunities.
Here we bring to you useful career options to choose from after completing your Class 12th Science Board exam.
Engineering offers professional-academic programmes at degree level that can help students in getting excellent job opportunities. Engineering can be pursued in different streams. Also, the field of engineering is also an evolving one with many new streams being added recently.
Some popular engineering streams that students can opt after Class 12th Science Board exams:
• Instrumentation & Control Engineering.
• Printing & Media Technology.
• Information Technology.
• Electronics & Communication Engineering.
• Automobile Engineering.
• Industrial & Production Engineering.
• Chemical Engineering.
• Mechanical Engineering.
• Civil Engineering.
• Biomedical Engineering.
• Computer Science & Engineering.
• Aeronautical Engineering.
• Computer & Communication Engineering.
• Electrical & Electronics Engineering.
Top Institutes offering undergraduate level engineering programmes are:
• Delhi Technological University (DTU), Delhi.
• National Institute of Technology (NIT) – different cities.
• Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) – different cities.
• Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – different cities.
Medicine is a very popular career choice for science students who are interested in building their careers in medical sciences. There are different medical-academic programmes available to Class 12th Science students depending upon their interest and aptitude. These include:
• MBBS - Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery.
• BDS - Bachelor of Dental Surgery.
• BAMS – Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery.
• BHMS – Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine & Surgery.
• B. Pharm – Bachelor of Pharmacy.
• BOP – Bachelor of Physiotherapy.
Popular institutes offering academic programmes in Medical Sciences are:
• Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi.
• St John's Medical College, Bangalore.
• Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry.
• All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
• Christian Medical College, Vellore.
• Armed Forces Medical College, Pune.
A career in agricultural sciences will surely help you to build an excellent academic career as well as get satisfying job opportunities. Agricultural sciences also offer chance to pursue career in different domains like Horticulture, Meteorology, Agronomy and others. Generally, academic programmes in agricultural sciences are offered as three-year B.Sc degree with specialization in different fields.
Some popular academic programmes available to students in this field are:
• B. Sc in Crop Physiology.
• B. Sc (H) in Agriculture.
• B. Sc in Agronomy.
• B. Sc (Bio-chemistry and Agricultural Chemistry).
• B. Sc in Agricultural Statistics.
• B. Sc in Agricultural Meteorology.
• B. Sc in Entomology.
• B. Sc in Agricultural Eco and Farm management.
• B. Sc in Agriculture.
• B. Sc in Agricultural Biotechnology.
• B. Sc (Agriculture Mktg and Business Management).
Popular institutes offering academic programmes in Agricultural Sciences are:
• Central Institute of Agricultural Engineering, Bhopal.
• Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Delhi.
• Agricultural Engineering College & Research Institute, Coimbatore.
Another very interesting career choice for Class 12th science students would be Forensic Sciences as it prepares students to develop scientific investigative skills. The career is excellent for students who want to join scientific investigative fields with governmental agencies as well as private organizations and laboratories and medical centres employing forensic science graduates.
Top academic programmes offered in the field of Forensic Sciences include:
• B. Sc in Forensic Sciences.
• Diploma in F/Sciences (Ballistics and Finger Prints).
• B. Sc in Life Science, Chemistry, Forensic Science.
• Diploma in Forensic Science (Cyber Crimes).
• Diploma in Criminology and Forensic Science for Police personnel.
• Diploma in Forensic Science/s (Computer Forensics).
Popular institutes offering academic programmes in Forensic Sciences are:
• Department of Criminology, University of Madras, Chennai.
• Asian School Of Cyber Laws, Pune.
• Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Khalsa College, New Delhi.
Bio-technology is a combination of biology and technology into one domain. Students pursuing study in this area are involved in development of technology products that aid and assist the health of humans and other living beings. Generally, bio-tech programmes are offered as three or four-year degree programmes to students with specialization in different sub-domains.
Top academic programmes offered in the field of Bio-Technology include:
• B.E. in Biotechnology.
• B. Sc in Biotechnology.
• Diploma in Biotechnology.
• B. Sc in Biotechnology and Bio informatics.
Top institutes offering specialized academic programmes in the field of bio-technology include:
• Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology, New Delhi.
• PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore.
• Thapar University, Patiala.
Geology offers very interesting and rewarding job opportunities. Students can also take up short-term diploma programmes. As far as academic opportunities go, Geology graduates are employed by government agencies like Geological Survey of India along with a host of opportunities in private sector areas like business consultants, oil and gas industry, NGOs, archaeology, and universities.
• B.Sc (Hons) Geology.
• PG Diploma in Environmental Geology.
• B. Science in Geology.
• PG Diploma in Engineering Geology.
• PG Diploma in Geology (Ground water).
Top universities offering graduate level programmes in Geological Sciences are:
• Bundelkhand University.
• Annamalai University.
• University Of Delhi, New Delhi.
• Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh.
• Sri Venkatshwara University.
Zoology covers broad field including all living and extinct living beings and offers numerous opportunities. Zoology graduates can land a job as teacher/professor or as a wildlife expert, conservationists, ornithologist and others.
Popular academic courses available in the field of Zoological sciences:
• B. Sc (Hons) in Zoology.
• B. Sc in Advanced Zoology and Biotechnology.
• B. Sc in Aquaculture (Fishery Microbiology).
• B. Sc in Zoology and Animal Biotechnology.
• B. Sc in Zoology.
Top universities/colleges offering graduate-level academic programmes in Zoological sciences are:
• Garden City College, Indira Nagar, Bangalore.
• Maitreyi College, Delhi/NCR.
• Acharya Narendra Dev College, Delhi/NCR.
• SouthSSMRV College, Jaya Nagar, Bangalore.
• Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, New Delhi.
Micro Biological Sciences
Microbiology deals with causes and treatment of human illnesses caused by micro-organisms. Generally, students can opt for three-year undergraduate level academic programme from any reputed university or institute. Microbiology offers Class 12th science students a chance to get jobs in pharmaceutical industries, food research industries, laboratories and others.
• B.Sc (Hons) in Microbiology.
• Diploma in Clinical Microbiology.
• B.Sc in Microbiology.
• Diploma in Clinical Pathology.
• Diploma in Industrial Microbiology.
Top universities/institutes offering courses on Micro-Biology include:
• Kakatiya University, Vidyaranyapuri, Warangal.
• Maharshi Dayanand University, Faculty of Science, Rohtak.
• Jiwaji University, Faculty of Sciences & Faculty of Life Sciences, Gwalior.
• Kurukshetra University, Faculty of Science, Kurukshetra.
• Mahatma Gandhi University, Faculty of Applied Science, Kottayam.
These are just a few popular career options available to science students after completing their Class 12th. However, science students can also opt for non-science and neutral academic choices like journalism, marketing, management and finance depending upon their interests.