The quizzes for this week will talk about the all-new paperthin bullet-proof super material and discovery of a special type of bacteria in the Ocean. To test your knowledge about the happenings of the science world you should solve these quizzes. By solving these you can also learn the method, how the questions are framed and asked in the competitive exams of various types.
1. Gases that come out from the volcano provides a potential threat to the people, animal and agriculture as well as property of the people residing in the nearby area of the volcano. The gases released from the volcano contains gases like sulphur dioxide, hydrogen fluoride and carbon dioxide in huge amount, which pollutes the air in the atmosphere. Which of the following gas causes acid rain?
a) Hydrogen Fluoride
b) Carbon Dioxide
d) Sulphur Dioxide
Answer. (d) Sulphur Dioxide
2. Researchers fabricated an all-new paperthin bullet-proof super material, which has the capability to self-assemble into alternating rubbery as well as glassy layers. The nano-material has the ability to translate into the safety beyond the vests. These technological advancements could be used for protective coating for the jet engine turbine blades as well as the satellites. Name the institute from which the researchers and scientists belong to?
a) University of Edinburgh and Rice University
b) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Rice University
c) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and University of Edinburgh
d) Rice University and University of Sterling
Answer. (b) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Rice University
3. Australia on 22 November 2012 approved the plan to save an ailing river system. What is the name of this ailing river system?
a) Murray-Darling Basin River System
b) Cooper Creek- Darling Basin River System
c) Murrumbidgee - Murray Basin River System
d) Flinders- Cooper Creek Basin River System
Answer. (a) Murray-Darling Basin River System
4. Which is the third brightest object in the sky after sun and moon?
b) International Space Station (ISS)
d) None of these
Answer. (b) International Space Station (ISS)
5. Scientists on 8 November 2012 revealed about the discovery of a special type of bacteria in the Ocean with abilities of combining together for the formation of the long conducting nano wire cable for transportation of electrons and capturing the oxygen available at the surface for carrying out the metabolic activities. What is the live wire made up of?
a) Living neurons
b) Living bacteria cells
c) Living biological cells
d) None of these
Answer. (c) Living Biological cells