SPJIMR Mumbai which is one of the top MBA colleges in India, concluded the final MBA placement for the outgoing batch of 2016-18 batch. SPJIMR Placement 2018 season ended on a bright note with the B-school registering healthy growth in the average and median salary being offered to the students. The SPJMR saw 105 recruiters participate in the placement process to hire 238 students.
Being one of the top MBA Colleges in India, especially in the private domain; SPJIMR’s placement is looked at very closely by both MBA aspirants and even the corporate world. Placement reports of top MBA colleges help us to analyse the general trend in MBA hiring and help us understand the sectors or domains which currently dominate the campus hiring at top B-schools. So, let’s analyse the SPJIMR Placement Report in detail to understand all the nitty-gritties of MBA hiring in India.
SPJIMR Placement - Statistical Highlights
SPJIMR is a reputed MBA college in Maharashtra and being located in the commercial capital of the country, draws recruiters from all walks of life and industry domains. This time, the SPJIMR Placement Report has thrown up some interesting statistical highlights which hint at the key placement trends in the MBA world. Let’s look at the key statistical highlights of SPJIMR MBA placement 2018:
- Total Number of recruiters: 105
- Total number of students: 238
- Total Offers extended: 263
- No of PPOs offered: 81
- Top hiring sectors: Consulting and FMCG
- Average Salary: 22.24 Lakhs
- Median Salary: 21.35 Lakhs
- First time recruiters: 47
Key Placement Trends
Along with the above given placement statistics, the placement report also noted some key placement trends and MBA hiring trends that reflected positive sentiment among the recruiters with regards to MBA placement 2018. Some of the important ones among them include:
- Offers above 17 lakhs – 218 / 92% of the batch
- Offers above 16 lakhs – 230 / 97% of the batch
- Average Salary of top 35% of the batch – Rs 28 Lakhs
Commenting upon the positive placement trends witnessed at SPJIMR Placement 2018, Prof. Malay Krishna, Associate PGDM Head at SPJIMR, said, "Employers find that our graduates start contributing very swiftly - they quickly get into the thick of things and truly practise the art of management. At SPJIMR, we attribute this phenomenon to our unique admissions process combined with differentiated curriculum content, structure and delivery."
Average and Median Salary Up
Although, the B-school has refrained from releasing the highest salary offer made to the students during this year’s placements, the average salary saw healthy growth of around Rs 2 lakhs. In 2017, the average salary during SPJIMR final MBA placement was 20.9 lakhs, which grew to Rs 22.24 lakhs this year. On a similar note, the median salary also saw healthy growth from Rs. 20 lakhs reported last year to Rs. 21.25 for the current outgoing batch.
Increase in PPOs
Similar to the rise in the number of offers being extended to the students, the SPJIMR also saw the number of PPOs or Pre-placement offers being extended to the students. This year, a total of 81 PPOs offered to the students. The rise in the number of PPOs reflects that the trust and belief that recruiters have shown in the management graduates walking out of the B-school. Simply put, it stands as a testimony to the quality of education being imparted at the MBA institute.
Increase in new recruiters
SPJIMR is a very well-known B-school, which is trusted by corporate firms like AS, BCG, Deloitte, HUL, P&G, PwC, SDC, Goldman Sachs, Airtel, DBS Bank, Amazon, Make My Trip, RB and TSMG. However, in addition to these, this year, the B-school saw 47 new recruiters join the placement session at their campus to hire management graduates. These include the likes of Reliance Industries, Metro Cash & Carry, Flipkart, Siemens Management Consulting, Pidilite, Barclays, IBM, Intrigo, Avendus Capital, Alcon, Uber, AstraZeneca, Accenture Tech, Aditya Birla Group, Google, HSBC IB, Samsung India Electronics, Tata Communications. The growing number of recruiters at SPJIMR clearly reflect the growing industry interface and bond between the B-school and the industry.
Sector-wise Placement Record
As far as sector-wise placement record is concerned, the B-school saw consulting emerge as the most dominant domain during the placement season. Nearly 35% of the batch received offers from consulting firms. This was followed by FMCG/FMCD which accounted for 23% of the offers. The third spot was grabbed by Banking and Insurance sector with 14% of the offers and the fourth and final spot went to e-Commerce with 12% of offers.
Sector-wise Top Recruiters
- General Management: Aditya Birla Group, Mahindra & Mahindra, General Electric, Reliance and Tata Administrative Services
- Consulting / IT Consulting: (35% of the total offers made) Boston Consulting Group, Siemens Management Consulting, Bristlecone, GEP, Deloitte, PwC India & SDC, KPMG, EY, IBM, Accenture Technologies, Intrigo, TSMG, Cedar Management Consulting and Capgemini
- e-Commerce: (12% of the total offers made) Amazon, Cloudtail, Flipkart, Uber and Paytm
- Finance: (14% share of the total offers made) Avendus Capital, Goldman Sachs, Barclays, Axis Bank, ICICI Bank, DBS Bank, RBL Bank, Citibank, JM Financial, HSBC IB, Yes Bank and IIFL
- IT/ITes: (10% share of the total offers made) Microsoft, Media.net, IBM, Accenture Technologies, Flipkart, Value Labs and Capgemini
- FMCG: (23% share of total offers made) Asian Paints, Pidilite, L'Oréal, Colgate-Palmolive, GSK CH, GSK Pharma, Johnson & Johnson, HUL, P&G, Mondelez, Marico, Reckitt Benckiser, General Mills, Nestlé and Samsung India Electronics
- Telecom: Bharti Airtel, Sterlite Technologies, Vodafone and Tata Communications.
For more interesting news and updates related to MBA world and MBA placement reports, please visit www.jagranjosh.com/mba. You can also subscribe to our newsletter to get these updates directly in your e-Mail Inbox.