SSC CHSL 2020 Memory Based Paper (English) with Answers: SSC CHSL 2019-20 Tier-1 Exam was held earlier this year from 17th to 19th March 2020 in online mode across different examination centres in India. From 20th March 2020 the exam got postponed due to COVID-19 Pandemic and has been scheduled from 12th October to 26th October for the remaining candidates.
In this article, we have provided the English Language Section’s Memory Based Questions as per the feedback received by the candidates who have appeared for SSC CHSL Tier-I 2019-20 Exam on 17th, 18th & 19th March 2020. Candidates are advised to definitely cover these questions for scoring high marks in the Exam.
SSC CHSL 2019-20 Tier-1 Exam (English Language Questions): 17th to 19th March 2020
- Synonym of ‘Adjusting’:
Answer: Adaptable, Accommodating
- Synonym of ‘Quarrelsome’:
- Synonym of Earthy
Answer: down-to-earth, folksy, funky, homey, simple
- Synonym of Choosy
Answer: Fussy, Finicky
- Antonym of Jovial
Answer: Miserable, Gloomy
- Meaning of Idiom – Take one’s hat off
Answer: to give someone praise or credit
- Spelling Test – Definition
- Spelling Test - Commemorate
- Synonym of ‘Alluring’:
- Antonym of ‘Abbreviation’:
- Antonym of Trust
Q12. Select the most appropriate meaning of the given idiom.
HEAD IN THE CLOUDS
- to daydream
- to be very tall
- to feel giddy
- to be very lazy
Answer: to daydream
Q13. Identify the most appropriate option to substitute the underlined segment. If no substitution is required, select No substitution.
No other man in the city is as rich than he is.
- as rich as he
- No substitution
- more richer than he
- so much rich as he
Answer: as rich as he
Q14. Select the most appropriate word for the group of words.
A remedy for all diseases
Q15. In the sentence identify the segment which contains the grammatical error.
The promoters of Med Hospitals has agreed to sell their business to Pal Hospitals.
- to Pal Hospitals
- The promoters of
- to sell their business
- Med Hospitals has agreed
Answer: Med Hospitals has agreed
Q16. Given below are four jumbled sentences. Out of the given options pick the one that gives their correct order.
- But after a while they all began to blur in our memories.
- When we arrived in Bangkok, we took a tour of the city's famous Buddhist temples.
- However there was one temple, the Temple of Golden Buddha, which left an indelible impression in our hearts and minds.
- We visited numerous temples that day.
Q17. Select the most appropriate word to fill in the blank.
She was ______ to have worked with some renowned scientists of the world.
Q18. Select the correct indirect form of the given sentence.
Bhola said to his mother, "Why is this charcoal so black?"
- Bhola asked his mother why that charcoal was so black.
- Bhola told his mother why that charcoal was so black.
- Bhola asked his mother why was that charcoal so black.
- Bhola asked his mother why this charcoal is so black.
Answer: Bhola asked his mother why that charcoal was so black.
Q19. Given below are four jumbled sentences. Out of the given options pick the one that gives their correct order.
- There was an old apple tree in the centre of a village.
- The adults also sat in the shade and discussed important things.
- They remembered that they too had played around the tree when they were young.
- Children loved to play around the tree and pick delicious apples.
Q20. Select the most appropriate option to substitute the underlined segment in the given sentence. If there is no need to substitute it, select No improvement.
They dissuaded me of visiting the War Memorial but I really wanted to see it.
- to visiting
- of visit
- from visiting
- No improvement
Answer: from visiting
Direction 21 to 25: Comprehension: In the following passage some words have been deleted. Fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given. Select the most appropriate option for each blank.
China is the largest producer of pork, but it (1) ______ a big problem at the moment. There is an epidemic (2) ______ is killing its pigs. The virus was first (3) ______ in August last year, but one million pigs have died by now. It is a (4) ______ virus and when a pig catches it, it dies. China thinks that one third of (5) ______ pigs are going to die by the end of this year.
Q21. Select the most appropriate option for blank No. 1.
- was facing
- is facing
Answer: is facing
Q22. Select the most appropriate option for blank No. 2.
Q23. Select the most appropriate option for blank No. 3.
Q24. Select the most appropriate option for blank No. 4.
Q25. Select the most appropriate option for blank No. 5.