As board exams approach students start worrying for their preparation, incomplete syllabus, exam performance and, fewer marks than the expectations etc. Such thoughts bring stress in students and hence, hampering their preparation for the exams. Class 10 and class 12 board exams are of high importance to every student and it is natural for them to become anxious about their performance. So, here are a few tips for dealing with exam stress that can help a student in managing their preparation.
Tips to deal with Exam Stress among students –
- Study routine – Prepare your schedule such that other activities like recreation, snacks and proper rest are included in it. This will help reduce the burden of studies and you will be able to concentrate effectively on preparation.
- Help from family and friends - If you find something difficult during preparation or lack of understanding in any subject, then you should always ask for help from teachers, friends and elders for a proper guidance. Not asking things or taking help increases chances of poor performance.
- Drive away negative thoughts – While, studying if you find any negative thoughts in your mind regarding your performance or not being able to achieve the target then you need to take a break, discuss such thoughts with your friends or elder so that these thoughts can be stopped.
- Physical and Mental Fitness - Exercise acts as a good stress-buster and students can do the physical fitness to let go of stress and laziness during preparation. For mental fitness, students can take help of meditation or soulful music to released mental stress.
- Healthy snacks – For some students, taking breaks for munching on snacks works as a stress-buster. However, students are advised to eat healthy snacks like fruits, bread/sandwich (without cheese) with veggies. Students must avoid any sugary, cheesy or sticky snacks as these induce laziness and sleep. Students need energetic and refreshing drinks while studying and they can take fruit juices, lemon water, coconut water or homemade fruit milkshakes as it keeps students refreshed and hydrated. However, students should avoid caffeine based products like coffee, tea, soda, protein shakes etc. these drinks sure seem tastier but have certain harmful effects.
- Get enough sleep – Don’t sacrifice your sleep for studies presuming that giving up sleep would provide your extra time to study. In reality, not getting enough sleep reduces a child’s ability to retain information and concentrate. They tend to fall asleep during studies and feel lethargic all the time.
- Set realistic goals – Students need to define and set their exam goals as per their capability. As setting a high expectation and unattainable goals puts pressure on the performance of the students and they may not be able to achieve even what they can easily achieve. So, don’t force yourself to follow out of reach goals.
- Regular study and revision – Students need to study on daily basis to reach their goal. If each day they cover their syllabus in small part then it will be easier to complete the syllabus on time. Also, they will get extra time for revision of every topic in the subjects. Leaving topics to memorise at the last minutes will make students anxious.
Conclusion – As the stress increases students become more anxious about the exams and take pressure which makes concentration on preparation much difficult. By following these study tips students can prepare well for the exams and be stress-free.