Andhra Pradesh is the largest Indian state in Southern region and may be that is one of the reasons why one finds a number of higher education institutes here. The distance education model has been very well accepted in this part of the country and this is visible when one looks at the options available in Andhra Pradesh for distance learning institutes. The major universities of the state offer distance education and here are some of top distance learning institutes of Andhra Pradesh. These have been evaluated on the basis of the reputation of the institute, quality of education and courses offered.
- Andhra University – Established in 1925, Andhra University is one of the oldest universities. It started its School of Distance Education in 1972 where students study the same syllabi as of the regular courses. The education for correspondence courses is imparted through courseware, personal interactions and audio-visual packages.
- Central Institute of English And Foreign Languages (CIEFL) – Located in Hyderabad, the Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages is an independent institute. It was started in 1958 with an aim to harbinger a radical change in the standard of English teaching methods. Since its inception, it has devised a number of tools of training, development and research to reach its goal.
- Dr BR Ambedkar Open University – The first Open University of India is located in Andhra Pradesh and was previously known as Andhra Pradesh Open University. Founded in 1982, today it offers numerous different courses from a variety of disciplines through its off-campus mode of education. It offers flexibility to students in terms of choice of courses, admission and duration.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University – JNTU started its School of Continuing and Distance Education in 1983 to cater to the needs of the working engineers. It offers a number of BTech courses such as Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics &Communication Engineering and Computer Science Engineering. It enables working professionals to enhance and upgrade their knowledge.
- Kakatiya University – With the tagline of “a step forward with education”, the School of Distance Learning and Continuing Education of Kakatiya University helps working professionals to pursue their dream of completing higher education. Besides the conventional degree programs in Arts, Commerce and Science, it also offers BA in Law, BEd, Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education and certain certificate programs like Cosmetics.
- Nagarjuna University – Keeping with the pace of changing times and requirements in the educational modes, Nagarjuna University has recently started its batches under the Center for Distance Education in 2003-04. It makes use of a combination of study material, contact programs and weekend classes to impart highest quality education through this distance learning mode.
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University – SK University established its Center for Education a few years back in 2000 with an aim to make education accessible to people from every section of the society. The academic programs offered include degree courses and short-term certificate and diploma courses in different subject areas. It imparts education through 68 affiliated colleges.
- Sri Venkateswara University – The foundation of the Directorate of Distance Education of the Sri Venhateswara University dates back to 1972. With an aim to provide correspondence courses to students who have a zeal for education through out their lives, it follows the UGC norms. Being computerized helps this department to be abreast with the latest technologies to give the best to the students.
- University of Hyderabad – The University of Hyderabad was started as a Central University in 1974. In 1994, it started its first Post Graduate diploma programs through distance learning mode. It targets to reach to the working professionals as well as fresh graduates.