Maharashtra is a metro city of India, which is famous for many reasons. One of them is that it is home to several premier higher education institutes of the country. A number of Universities of Maharashtra offer distance learning courses for the benefit of those who are somehow not able to attend the regular college campus. The state also has certain distance learning institutes that have been built for the sole purpose of providing distance education.
There are many benefits of pursuing distance learning courses. Besides the flexibility, students also have to pay less for these courses as compared to full-time courses in any subject. Here are some of the top distance learning institutes of Maharashtra, which have been evaluated on the basis of quality of education, faculty, kind of courseware provided to students and the tuition cost.
- University of Mumbai – Incepted in 1857 by Dr John Wilson, it was started as the University of Bombay and gradually the name was changed to University of Mumbai. It is modeled on the Britain universities and imparts its courses through various affiliated colleges. The Institute of Distance & Open Learning (IDOL) of the University of Mumbai was started in 1971. The courses offered include BA, BCom, MA, MCom, MSc (Maths), DFM Med, MA (Education), IT and Nautical courses such as MSc Computer Science, MCA and BSc Nautical Technology.
- International Institute for Population Sciences – Established in 1956, the International Institute for Population Sciences is a premier regional Institute for Training and Research in Population Studies. Earlier it was called as the Demographic Training and Research Centre. It offers specialized courses in population sciences through distance education. The courses include Master of Population Studies, MPhil and PhD in this field. The Institute also provides short-term training courses for working professional.
- Shivaji University – Founded in 1962, Shivaji University was started with an aim to cater the educational needs of the Southern region of Maharashtra. The University works through its 225 affiliated colleges that are spread over three districts. To fulfil its objective of providing higher education opportunities to rural youth, the University started its Department of Adult and Continuing Education in 1984.
- SNDT Women's University – Located in the city of Mumbai, SNDT was inaugurated in 1916 marking the start of a new era of women’s education. The Center for Distance Education of the University is dedicated to reach to those women who are stuck in fulfilling other responsibilities of their lives and are not able to attend conventional college. It offers various courses including degree courses at both under Graduate and Post Graduate level, diploma courses, certificate courses and research programs.
- Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University – Being the fifth open university of India, YCMOU was established in 1989. With the campus is located in Nashik, the University offers a number of offline and online courses. The study centres are located all over the state that makes it easier for the students to get support from the faculty. Students have plethora of choices to choose from the variety of courses available with the University. It provides conventional degree courses along with specific certificate and diploma courses in professional and vocational programs.
- Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth – Under the guidance of Mahatama Gandhi, the Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth was founded in 1921. In 1985, it started its distance education programs by establishing the Faculty of Distance Education. Initially it started with just one course of BA in Social Sciences. However at present it offers a number of courses through distance education, which also include certificate and diploma courses along with under graduate and Post Graduate degree courses.