To improve the status of science and research in the country the Department of Science and Technology had recently conducted an inter-ministerial committee which has decided to hike the fellowship for researchers. UGC has thus decided to hike fellowships for 15 schemes under it by 55% which would come into effect from 01 December 2014. However the researchers are not happy with the outcome and are challenging the date of implementation of the decision.
The researchers have demanded the hikes to be implemented from the month of April 2014. The government had made previous announcements to do it from October onwards but now the notification has made it clear that it would be effective only from the month of December which would be a huge loss to the researchers.
Professor Vijaya Raghavan, Secretary of DST said that people should welcome the decision made by UGC and that the hikes announced before Diwali would be implemented with effect from 01 October.
Schemes which would get a hike of 55%:
- Emeritus Fellowship
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship (PDF) for women (unemployment)
- Dr. S Radhakrishnan PDF in Humanities & Social Sciences including languages
- Swami Vivekananda Single Girl Child Scholarship for Research in Social Science
- Junior Research Fellow (JRF) & Senior Research Fellow (SRF) in Science, Humanities and Social Science
- JRF & SRF for Foreign nationals
- RA to foreign nationals
- PDF for SC/ST candidates
- PG Scholarship for professional courses for SC/ST candidates
- PG Scholarship for GATE/GPAT qualified students for ME/ M. Tech and M. Pharma
- PG Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child
- PG Scholarship for University Rank Holders
- BSR Fellowship
- Dr. D S Kothari Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- BSR Faculty Fellowship