Time Allowed : three Hourse
Maximum Marks: 200
Candidate should attempt SIX question in all including Question No. 1 , which is compulsory, from Part – I and attempt ONE question each from Section A,B,C,D and E From Part -II.
The number of marks carried only in ENGLISH.
Synbols and abbreviations are as usual.
Neat sketches may be drawn to illustrate answer, wherever required.
1. Define any ten in 3 to 4 sentences each: 5×10=50
(a) Tool marks
(c) Composition of the Earth's core
(d) Stable Isotopes
(e) Refraction anomaly
(f) Magnetic anomaly
(g) Trace Fossils
(i) Virtual Fixation Point
(l) Equal Area Projection
Section - A
2. Describe a typical desert scenery and discuss the evolution and migration of sand dunes. 30
3. Differentiate between : 6×5=60
(a) Aerial Photographs and Satellite Imagery
(b) Topographic Maps and Geological Mpas
(c) LANDSAT and IRS Mission
(d) Bhangar and Khandar Soils
(e) KARST topography and Glaciated topography
Section - B
4. Discuss the principle involved in: 10×3=30
(a) Construction of Projection diagrams
(b) Analysis of structural deformation
(c) Salt Dome tectonics
5. Write illustrated notes on : 10×3=30
(a) Balanced cross- section
(b) Importance of down- dip lineation
(c) Origin of reclined folding
Section - C
6. Discuss the story of transformation of the " Global Tectonics Hypothesis" into the " Theory of plate Tectonics". Discuss the events in chronological order. 20+10=30
7. Write short notes on :
(a) Island Arcs
(b) Theory of Isostasy
(c) Gravity anomaly
Section - D
8. Discuss the merits and demerits of the International code of Stratigraphic Nomenclature. Give Indian examples to illustrate your answer. 20+10=30
9. Write brief notes on : 10×3=30
(a) Proterozoic - Cambrian Stratigraphic boundary statotype
(b) Origing of Siwalik foreland basin
(c) Deccan Law in ' Gondwanaland'.
Section - E
10. Discuss the objections raised against Drawin's Theory of Evalution. Explain the concept of the punctuated evolution.
11. Discuss the stratigraphic importance of : 6×5=30
(a) Cardita beaumonti
(b) Ptilophyllum Flora
(c) Cruziana sp.
(d) Productus rajah
(e) Syringothyris cuspidata