1. Which of the following is not one of the major environment problems resulting from human interference in the nitrogen cycle?
a) Nitrous oxide release increases global warming.
b) Increased acid rain.
c) Stratospheric ozone depletion.
2. Which of the following is not a major greenhouse gas?
a) Water vapour
d) Carbon Dioxide
3. The 1987 Montreal Protocol was signed for which of the following reasons?
a) To phase out the use of CFC's, found to be causing depletion of the ozone layer
b) To ban nuclear testing in tropical oceans
c) To stop the global trade in products made from endangered tigers
d) To begin converting from fossil fuel use to more renewable energy sources to reduce the anthropogenic greenhouse effect
4. Approximately what proportion of the global land surface is used for agriculture and grazing by the world's 6 billion people?
a) One tenth
b) One eightieth
c) Three quarters
d) One third
5. Which of the following is not a major positive feedback mechanism in which the activity of humans to increase global climate temperatures leads to an even further increase?
a) Global warming causes increased CO2 release from biomass decomposition
b) Tropical deforestation causes warming and drying so that remaining forests begin to decline
c) Global warming causes increased rainfall, plant growth and photosynthesis
d) Global warming causes snow to melt in polar regions and therefore increases global albedo
6. What is the primary reason for targeting 'biodiversity hotspots' for conservation?
a) They are the only areas where species are seriously threatened in the world.
b) They are areas where people do not live and conservation would therefore not be effecting the economic development of the area.
c) To protect all areas of threatened species would not allow for new species to develop.
d) The number of species threatened far exceeds our capacity to protect them and we can therefore only concentrate on areas of highest species diversity
7. Which of the following is not one of the prime health risks associated with greater UV radiation through the atmosphere due to depletion of stratospheric ozone?
a) Damage to eyes
b) Increased liver cancer
c) Reduced immune system
d) Increased skin cancer
8. What was the message that the Club of Rome were trying to send to the world in 1972?
a) Nuclear power is the answer to the world's resource limitations.
b) Humans were heading on a path to massive environmental degradation and resource exhaustion
c) Global populations will naturally start to decline and therefore the world's problems will begin to subside
d) None of this
9. Which of the following is not a reason for more optimism that humans are not heading into an environmental Armageddon in the future?
a) People are beginning to accept the significance of human-environment relationships and international collaboration to curb environmental problems is beginning
b) The technology for alternative sources of energy (other than fossil fuels) has been developed and is only waiting for the appropriate economic conditions for widespread implementation
c) The development of genetic modification technology is allowing humans to engineer their own resources no matter what the environmental conditions are.
d) Environmental science now has a much greater understanding of the impacts of human activities and the response of environmental systems
10. An impact assessment, whether health impact assessment, environmental impact assessment, social impact assessment, environmental technology assessment should be: