Indian Polity is easy to understand but it is harder to attempt the questions correctly in the Civil Services because the questions asked are very ambiguous. To the rescue of the IAS aspirants, here we present the set of very useful questions for the practice of the IAS Prelims Exam:
1. With reference to ‘indestructible union of destructible states’. Which of the following statements is valid argument?
Explanation: Union government can change name of state and alter boundaries because states are destructible. India is federation where states have no right to break away from union.
2. With reference to the procedure for formation/establishment of states.
Which of the following statements is true?
Explanation: Bill to this effect may be introduced in either house of parliament only on the recommendation of president. Bill should be referred by the president to the legislatures of state for expressing views within period specified. Opinion of legislature is not binding on the president. The bill needs to be passed by parliament by simple majority.
3. The term union of India infers
1. States and union territories are members of union.
2. India is to ‘indestructible union of destructible states’
Which of the following is true?
Explanation: Union of India infers states that share federal powers with the union government. The term union signifies though the country and the people may be divided into different states for convenience of administration, the country is one integral whole.
4. Consider the following statements
Select the correct answer using following codes
Explanation: Parliament is empowered to lay down that as regards any particular class of employment under a state or union territory residence within that state or union territory shall be necessary qualification. Parliament would be sole authority and state legislatures shall have no voice.
5. Which of the following is true about preamble?
Explanation: Preamble contains essence of constitution. In Kesavanda Bharati case 1973 Supreme Court ruled that preamble is part of constitution and not enforceable. It is basic features of constitution.
6. Consider the following statements
Which of the above statements is true?
Explanation: Preamble has been amended once through 42nd constitutional amendment act 1976. According to Supreme Court, in Keshavanda Bharati case, preamble cannot be abridged. It can be enriched but not restricted.
7. Consider the following statements
Which of the following statements are true?
Explanation: The word secular appeared in article 25 2 (a) of the constitution of India. Secularism means equidistance of the state towards all religions. Secularism means separation of religion from politics.
8. With reference to word ‘justice’ and ‘Fraternity’ in preamble. Which of the following statements is true?
Explanation: Justice signifies political, economic and social justice. Fraternity means common brotherhood.
9. Who among the following is eligible for office of president of India?
Explanation: Only Citizens are eligible for certain offices such as president, vice president, judge of Supreme Court and high court, attorney general, governor of state, advocate general. Citizens include citizens by birth, descent, registration, naturalisation, incorporation of territory.
10. With reference to the word socialist in preamble. Which of the following statements is true?
Explanation: Even though the word socialist was added in preamble by 42nd amendment act in 1976, our original constitution reflected socialistic principles. Distributive justice is a part of socialist societies.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.