A combined competitive examination for recruitment to Grade IV of the Services (Indian Economic Service and Indian Statistical Service) will be held by the Union Public Service Commission in accordance with the Rules published by the Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation in the Gazette of India.
Name of the Post & Number of Vacancies
- Indian Economic Service: 19 vacancies
- Indian Statistical Service: 46 vacancies
The examination shall be conducted according to the following Plan:
- Written examination carrying a maximum of 1000 marks in the following subjects.
- Viva voce of such candidates as may be called by the Commission, carrying a maximum of 200 marks.
Indian Economic Service (IES) Written Exam:
- General English (100 marks, 3 hours)
- General Studies (100 marks, 3 hours)
- General Economics- I (200 marks, 3 hours)
- General Economics- II (200 marks, 3 hours)
- General Economics- III (200 marks, 3 hours)
- Indian Economics (200 marks, 3 hours)
Candidates will be required to write an essay in English. Other questions will be designed to test their understanding of English and workmanlike use of words. Passages will usually be set for summary or precis.