15th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas: India, Mauritius agree upon partnership in various sectors
For the first time in the history of Pravasi Bhartiya Diwas, the event is being held in Varanasi, the cultural and spiritual capital of India. Around 6,000 non-resident Indians (NRIs) are expected to take part in the three-day event.
The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi inaugurated the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas on January 22, 2019 in his parliamentary constituency, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. In the history of Pravasi Bhartiya Diwas, the event is being held for the first time in Varanasi, the cultural and spiritual capital of India.
The theme 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was 'Role of Indian Diaspora in building New India'.
Several world leaders of Indian origin, including Prime Minister of Mauritius, Pravind Kumar Jugnauth, will take part in the event and share their insights on the theme.
For the first time, the three-day-long Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas convention is being organised from January 21 to 23 instead of January 9 to 11 to allow the NRIs to visit the Kumbh Mela in Prayagraj and attend the Republic Day parade in New Delhi.
The convention was inaugurated in the presence of Mauritian Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth, the Chief Guest of the event. Around 6,000 non-resident Indians (NRIs) are expected to take part in the three-day event.
The 15th edition of the Pravasi Bhartiya Divas (PBD) began formally on January 21, 2019.
India, Mauritius agree upon critical partnership in various sectors
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Mauritian counterpart Pravind Kumar Jugnauth held talks on January 22, 2019 on the sidelines of the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas.
They discussed ways to boost bilateral trade and investment, including finalisation of a comprehensive economic partnership agreement. They also discussed the ongoing bilateral development co-operation projects.
New proposals for critical partnership projects in health, disaster management and energy sectors were agreed upon in the deliberations.
The two leaders also discussed ways to expand further co-operation in areas of blue economy. Blue economy is the sustainable use of ocean resources for economic growth, improved livelihood and jobs, and ocean ecosystem health.
Both the Prime Ministers also discussed collaboration in Africa.
• The opening day of event started with the Youth Pravasi Bhartiya Divas and Uttar Pradesh Pravasi Bhartiya Divas. The young diaspora engaged with its counterparts back home in India.
• Information and Broadcasting Minister, Rajyavardhan Rathore inaugurated several exhibitions including a digital exhibition on the theme of 'Ek Bharat Swacch Bharat: Sardar Patel and Gandhi ke Sapno ka Bharat’, intended towards the PBD.
• The event is jointly organised by the Union Ministry of External Affairs in association with the Uttar Pradesh government.
• The Nodal Officer of the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is Deepak Agrawal, Commissioner of Varanasi Division.
• The main convention center of PBD 2019 is the Deen Dayal Trade Facilitation Centre at Bada Lalpur, Varanasi. The entire campus has been decorated with the theme of 'Kashi Culture' depicting famous ghats, temples and the ethos of the most ancient living city.
• The valedictory address and Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards will be given away by the President Ram Nath Kovind on January 23, 2019.
About Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
• Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebrated in India every year.
• It is celebrated to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community to the development of India.
• The day also commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa in Bombay on January 9, 1915.
• The decision to celebrate Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was taken in accordance with recommendations of the High Level Committee on the Indian Diaspora set up by India Government under the chairmanship of L M Singhvi.
• The day was formally established in 2003 and is sponsored by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and the Ministry of Development of the North Eastern Region of India.
• The 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas was held in New Delhi.