The 18th All India Whips’ Conference was inaugurated by Union Minister of Parliamentary Affairs and Chemicals & Fertilizers Ananth Kumar on 8 January 2018 in Udaipur, Rajasthan. The conference will conclude on 9 January 2018.
Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje Scindia was the Chief Guest for the Inaugural Session of the Conference.
During this two-day conference, Kumar will consider rolling out e-Sansad in Parliament and e-Vidhan in State Legislatures with an aim to digitize and make their functioning paperless.
The Whips’ Conference also aims to deliberate recommendations for smooth and efficient working of Parliament and the State Legislatures in the light of the experience gained by the Whips.
The Union Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs will then forward these recommendations to the State Chief Ministers; Ministers-in-charge of Department of Parliamentary Affairs in the State Governments; Presiding Officers of the State Legislatures and all the invitees to the conference.
e-Sansad and e-Vidhan
• e-Sansad and e-Vidhan are mission mode projects of Union Government under Digital India initiative to make the functioning of Parliament and State Legislatures paperless.
• Union Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs (MoPA) is the Nodal Ministry for implementation of both the projects.
• According to the agenda prepared by MoPA, these projects will make the functioning of Parliament and State Legislatures participative, responsive, transparent, productive and more accountable to the public and make the entire Legislative process more efficient.
• This environment friendly initiative is also in line with the ‘Go Green’ initiative of the Government.
• In order to economize the entire Legislative process, e-Vidhan is proposed to be implemented in all the States and UTs with Legislatures.
• For rolling out e-Vidhan in the State legislatures, funding to the maximum extent will be provided by the MoPA.
Whip: Who is he and what's his role?
• A whip is an important member of a political party’s parliamentary body, having a central role in ‘Floor Management’ in both the Houses of Parliament and is responsible for discipline within the party.
• Whip's main job is ensuring that his members in Parliament and legislature vote in line with the party’s official policy on important issues and make sure that the members turn out for important votes.
• The importance of Whips in the Parliamentary system was acknowledged through the First All India Whips Conference at Indore in 1952.
SpaceX launches Secret Zuma Mission for US Government
Who: Union Government
When: 8 January 2018
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.