2nd Anti-Drug Working Group meeting of Heads of Drug Control Agencies of BRICS concluded
The meeting was the second such meeting of the Heads of Drug Control Agencies. The first such meeting was held in Moscow, Russia in 2015 in keeping with the spirit of the eThekwani Declaration.
The 2nd Anti-Drug Working Group meeting of Heads of Drug Control Agencies of BRICS countries concluded on 8 July 2016 in New Delhi.
The day-long meeting was organised by the Narcotics Control Bureau of the Ministry of Home Affairs. Besides the Indian delegation, it was attended by officials and policy makers from the other BRICS nations – Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa.
During the meeting, the participants discussed the following issues –
• Drug trafficking situation including the illicit cultivation and production of Opium and Heroin in South West Asia and South East Asia
• Illicit cultivation of Coca bush in South America
• Illicit cultivation of Cannabis plant used for production of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, Diversion and trafficking of precursor chemicals
• Illicit financial flows from drug proceeds and financing of terrorism in certain cases
• Maritime drug trafficking
• Challenges and emergence of new psycho-active substances that have posed serious threat to health, safety and well being of society across globe, especially of the youth
At the end of deliberations, the delegates resolved to develop and enhance cooperation and collaboration among the Member States to monitor current trends and drug trafficking routes.
They also agreed to exchange of information among the drug law enforcement agencies, share and exchange experiences, and best practices and enhance capacity building in order to prevent and counter illicit drug trafficking and related crimes.
• The meeting was the second such meeting of the Heads of Drug Control Agencies. The first such meeting was held in Moscow, Russia in 2015 in keeping with the spirit of the eThekwani Declaration.
• The eThekwini Declaration and Action Plan that was adopted by the 5th BRICS Summit in Durban, South Africa calls for enhanced engagement among member nations.
• The present meeting also assumes significance as India shall be hosting the 8th BRICS summit in October 2016 in Goa.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App