The 42nd World Congress of the International Committee of Military Medicine (ICMM) began on 19 November 2017. The congress was organised by the Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS) under the aegis of the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
The theme of 42nd World Congress is 'Military Medicine in Transition: Looking Ahead'.
The ICMM is an international inter-governmental organisation created in 1921 with its secretariat at Brussels in Belgium and currently has 112 nations as members.
Highlights of 42nd International Congress of Military Medicine
• The five-day event is being organised for the first time in India, and is the largest medical conference ever organised by the Armed Forces Medical Services.
• Around 350-400 foreign delegates from 80 countries will be attending the event.
• About 300 Indian delegates comprising Armed Forces Medical, Dental, Nursing and Veterinary Officers will be participating in it.
• Top Indian scientific institutions, Union Ministry of Health, the United Nations and the International Committee of Red Cross are also represented at the Congress.
• There are 26 thematic sessions covering diverse areas including Terrain Specific Military Medical Support, Health Protection and Promotion in the Military Environment, Combat Medical Support, and Humanitarian Aid and Disaster Relief.
• Panel discussions on women in combat, medical disability benefits, health of veterans and health screening of recruits are also planned.
When: 19 November 2017