The Uttar Pradesh government on 23 October 2016 declared the list of Yash Bharati awardees 2016. 54 personalities were selected for the coveted award for the year 2016-17.
Bollywood actor Naseeruddin Shah, PayTM CEO Vijay Shekhar, Paralympic athlete Varun Kumar, Qawwaali singers Aftab and Hashim (Sabri Brothers), film director Saurabh Shukla and Atul Tiwari were some of the prominent names.
Details of some prominent awardees
• Apart from this, the list included the names of Swaroop Kumari Bakshi for literature and Beghum Habibullah for social service.
• Lieutenant General Anil Chait, who was also the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief has been given the award for Military Service.
• Cricketers Gyanendra Pandey, Bhuwaneshwar Kumar, Praveen Kumar and Piyush Chawla (Cricketer) also figure in the list of awardees.
• Some of the other prominent awardees are Rajendra Singh (Water Conservationist), Anil Rastogi (Theatre and acting in films), Suman Yadav (Sports), Syed Mohd Basheer Badr (Literature & Education), Swaroop Kumari Bakshi (Literature) and Anubhav Sinha (Film Director).
• Pandit Vishwanath (Classical Music), Ustad Gulfam (classical music), Kashinath Yadav (Birha Folk Music), Mohd Aslam Warsi (Sufi Music), Kewal Kumar (Music Direction & Singing) were from the field of Music.
• Sabiha Anwar (Education & Literature), Yogesh Mishra (Journalism & Literature), Rajkrishna Mishra (Literature), Manendra Kumar Mishra (Writer), Maheshwar Tiwari (Literature), Sarvesh Asthana (Literature), Oma Dapak (Literature) were some of awardees from field of literature.
• Prof Rakesh Kapoor, Deepak Agarwal, Dr Ramratan Banerjee, Syed Muhammed Hassan were awarded in the field of medicine.
• The other winners are Ashok Nigam (Journalist), Arjun Bajpai (Mountaineer), Gargi Yadav (Wrestling), Dr Ramakant Yadav (Medical University Saifai), Atma Prakash Mishra (Doordarshan Lucknow) and Gaurdas Chaudhary (Doctor).
About Yash Bharti Awards
• Yash Bharti Awards was instituted by Mulayam Singh Yadav Government in 1994.
• The award is conferred by the Uttar Pradesh Government for excellence in literature, fine arts, folk and classical music and sports.
• The award carries cash prize of 11 lakh rupees, a citation and a shawl.
• The award was discontinued by the Bahujan Samaj Party Government from 2007-2013, but later it was revived after a gap of six years.
When: 23 October 2016