The 61st National Film Awards for 2013 was announced in New Delhi on 16 April 2014 by the Directorate of Film Festivals. Ship of Theseus directed by Anand Gandhi was selected as the Best feature film.
Best popular film providing wholesome entertainment award was given to Bhaag Milkha Bhaag that was produced and directed in 2013 by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra on a script written by Prasoon Joshi. Farhan Akhtar played the role of Milkha Singh in the film.
The list of winners chosen by the jury in National Film Awards 2013 is as follows
• Best Actor – Raj Kumar for Shahid in hindi and Suraj Venjaramoodu for Perariyathavar in Malyalam
• Best Actress – Geetanjali Thapa for Liar’s Dance in Hindi
• Best Direction – Hansal Mehta for film Shahid
• Best Film on Social Issues – Gulabi Gang directed by Nishtha
• Best Supporting Actor – Saurabh Shukla for Jolly LLB
• Best Supporting Actress – Amruta Subhash for Astu in Marathi and Aida El-Kashef for Ship of Theseus
• Best Children’s Film – Kaphal (Hindi), directed by Batul Mukhtiar
• Best Child Artist – Somnath Avghade for Fandy in Marathi and Sadhana for Thanga Meengal in Tamil
• Special Jury Award – Yellow in Marathi directed by Mahesh Limaye and Miss Lovely in Hindi directed by Ashim Ahuwalia
• Indira Gandhi Award for Best Debut Film of a Director – Fandry in Marathi directed by Nagraj Manjule
• Nargis Dutt Award for Best Feature Film on National Integration – Thalaimuraigal (Tamil) directed by Balu Mahindra
• Best Writing on Cinema or Book of the Cinema – Cinema Ga Cinema in Telugu authored by Nandagopal and published by Praga India, Hyderabad
The award ceremony will be held on 3 May 2014.
About National Film Awards
The National Film Awards are most prominent awards given away to the film fraternity. These awards were established in 1954. Annually, the national panel is appointed by Government of India to select the winner in different categories. The awards are presented by the President of India in the official ceremony.
Where: in New Delhi
When: 16 April 2014