69th Constitution Day observed across India
The Constitution of India is a supreme law of India, which lays down the framework that defines the political principles, establishes the structure, procedures, powers and duties of Government institution.
26 November: Indian Constitution Day
The 69th Constitution Day was observed across India on November 26, 2018 to mark the adoption of the Indian Constitution by the Constituent Assembly.
The Constitution of India was adopted by the Constituent Assembly on November 26, 1949 and it came into force on January 26, 1950.
On November 19, 2015 during the year-long celebration of the 125th birth anniversary of Dr BR Ambedkar, the Union Government declared November 26 as the Constitution Day in a gazette notification.
Following the independence of India, the Constituent Assembly entrusted the job of drafting the Indian Constitution to the Drafting Committee chaired by Dr BR Ambedkar.
In the beginning of 1948, Dr. Ambedkar completed the draft of the Constitution and presented it in the Constituent Assembly. In November 26, 1949, this draft was adopted with very few amendments.
• The Constitution of India is a supreme law of India, which lays down the framework that defines the political principles, establishes the structure, procedures, powers and duties of Government institution.
• The Constitution declares India a sovereign, socialist, secular, democratic republic, assuring its citizens justice, equality and liberty, and endeavours to promote fraternity.
• The constitution's articles are grouped as ‘Preamble’, Parts, Schedules, and Appendices. The preamble can be referred to as the preface which highlights the entire Constitution.
• The Constitution of India is the longest written constitution of any sovereign country in the world. It signifies the sovereignty of the people.
• Dr BR Ambedkar is regarded as the father of the Indian Constitution.
What is Constitution?
A Constitution, which may be written or oral, is a set of fundamental principles according to which a state or a country is governed.
It is a document that lays down the framework demarcating fundamental political code, structure, procedures, powers, and duties of government institutions and sets out fundamental rights, directive principles, and the duties of citizens.