Short story writer and novelist Jhumpa Lahiri was on 10 September 2015 awarded with the 2014 National Humanities Medal by the White House, United States. The medal was conferred onto her by President Barack Obama at a ceremony at the White House.
Lahiri was among 10 recipients of the award. Other 9 awardees are:
• Annie Dillard, author
• Everett L. Fly, architect and preservationist
• Rebecca Newberger Goldstein, philosopher and novelist
• Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham, historian
• Fedwa Malti-Douglas, scholar
• Larry McMurtry, novelist
• Vicki Lynn Ruiz, historian
• Alice Waters, author and food activist
About Jhumpa Lahiri
• Born in London, Lahiri holds a bachelor's degree from Barnard College at Columbia University; master's degrees in English literature, and a Ph.D. in Renaissance studies from BU.
• In July 2015, Lahiri joined the Princeton University faculty as a professor of creative writing in the Lewis Centre for the Arts. Prior to coming to Princeton, Lahiri was a writer in residence at John Cabot University in Rome, and she has held the same position at Vassar College and Baruch College.
• Her debut collection of short stories Interpreter of Maladies came out in 1999, it probes issues of love and identity among immigrants and cultural transplants and also won the 2000 Pulitzer Prize for fiction, the PEN/Hemingway Award and The New Yorker Debut of the Year.
• Her 2013 novel The Lowland was a National Book Award winner. Her 2003 novel The Namesake was released as a film in 2007.
• Lahiri was granted a Guggenheim Fellowship in 2002 and a National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship in 2006.
About National Humanities Medal
• The National Humanities Medal, inaugurated in 1997, is sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
• The award honours individuals or groups whose work has deepened the nation's understanding of the humanities and broadened our citizens' engagement with history, literature, languages, philosophy, and other humanities subjects.
• Up to 12 medals can be awarded each year.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Jhumpa Lahiri
When: 10 September 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.