All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) Supremo Jayalalithaa was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu on 23 May 2016. Governor Dr K Rosaiah administered the oath of office and secrecy for her at the Centenary Auditorium, Madras University.
This is Jayalalithaa’s second consecutive term as Chief Minister of the state and sixth overall.
The governor also administered the pledge for the 28 ministers also. Ministers were administered swearing in pledge in batches.
Her party All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) stomped to victory in the state elections, landing 134 of the 232 seats in the Tamil Nadu Assembly election.
She served the state as its Chief Minister
• First term: June 1991-May 1996
• Second term: May-September 2001
• Third term: March 2002-May 2006
• Fourth term: May 2011-September 2014
• Fifth term: May 2015 to May 2016
During her second term, she was out of office for six months as the Supreme Court disqualified her in the TANSI (Tamil Nadu Small Industries Corporation) land acquisition case. She was re-sworn in March 2002.
During her fourth term, she was out of the office after being disqualified as a legislator and consequently lost Chief Ministership following her conviction in a graft case by a trial court in Bengaluru which was later set aside by Karnataka High Court.
Important Decisions taken post Swearing-in ceremony
After the swearing in she went to the Secretariat and signed in important files including
• Cancellation of loans to micro small and medium farmers who acquired loan through cooperative units
• Closing down of State owned liquor outlets in phases beginning with closing down of 500 shops
• Giving 100 units of electricity for free of charge
• Increase from four to eight grams of gold for wedlock for brides who have completed degree and diplomas in addition to financial assistance.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 23 May 2016