Aizawl FC on 30 April 2017 defeated Shillong Lajong FC to grab the 2016-17 I-League in Shillong, Meghalaya.
With this, Aizawl FC became the first ever north-eastern club to win the title.
The 2016-17 I-League was the 10th edition of the I-League held at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Shillong.
• The Hero I League is an Indian professional league for men's association football clubs.
• At present, it is contested by 10 clubs.
• It operates on a system of promotion and relegation with the I-League 2nd Division as well as a system of direct-entry.
• It was formed in 2007 as the ONGC I-League. It is a successor to the previous National Football League.
• Since the league inception, a total of five clubs have been crowned champions of the I-League.
• Bengaluru FC was the winner of the 2016-16 I-League.